Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.dll RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running CRM on 3 environments each on their own server and I've noticed that the Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.dll file updated when I applied an Update Rollup but in others it didn't.

For example, I have a Development, Test, and Production CRM server.  On our DEV and PROD servers I started out with Update Rollup 7 then went to  8, 10, 12 and the file version is 4.0.7333.2138 which is the Update Rollup 7 version.

My Test CRM server which went through a rebuild and I installed Update Rollup 10 at the time because it's what my other servers were running at the time has a different version.  I went from 10 to 12 and the file version is 4.0.7333.2741 which of course is Update Rollup 10.  It seems that this file doesn't ever get updated and it keeps the file version of whatever was the first Update Rollup applied at the time of installation.  Is this normal?

I'm running into a problem where the customizations exported from TEST won't import into PROD due to the Update Rollup mismatch.  Even though, I applied Update Rollup 12 successfully it only updated certain .dlls all the rest that should of been updated stayed at their 10 version rather than 12.  I even uninstalled and reinstalled 12 but that didn't seem to do anything...still the same issue.

I'm thinking of uninstalling all update rollups then reinstall 7, 8, 10, and 12 to get all 3 servers identical and hopefully this will solve my problem of not being able to import customizations to my PROD CRM server that's currently at 12.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance
    Friday, August 27, 2010 8:12 PM

Answers

• Donna and Rhett thanks for the replies.

Ok, I understand both points you've made...I know the Update Rollups are cumulative, but just wanted all 3 servers to be the same to rule out any issues.

I've resolved the problem.  What happened was that our CRM installation seemed to have gone bad because the .dll files where not updating after applying the U12 or any other Update Rollup for that matter, so I decided to reinstall CRM.  Once I reinstalled and applied the U7, U8, U10, and U12 the .dll files were updated successfully each time.

But this still didn't solve my mismatch .dll problem with the Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.dll because I was still unable to import customizations.

I found out after talking to one of our developers that we use the Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.dll in the GAC which is the version that was never being updated after applying the update rollups yet the same file within the Inetpub\wwwroot\bin folder was being updated to the latest version for the U12.  So, I uninstalled it from the GAC, copied/installed the .dll that's in the IIS into the GAC and it got me one step closer but still no go...I could not import customizations.

Again, working with our developer he found after looking through the CRM logs that our production CRM which is the one we're trying to import the customizations into had a Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll in the GAC that's not in our Test environment because for some reason unknown to me it was put into production to fix something else.

The logs was pointing to this file being the problem or the source of the problem.  It turns out that .dll wasn't the latest build version either.

So, we took the Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll that was not of the latest version, uninstalled it from the GAC, took the latest one from IIS and copied/installed it into the GAC as well and that fixed the problem!

• Marked as answer by AngelC2 Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:37 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:37 PM

All replies

• You only need to install update rollup 12 on the servers since it is cumulative.  UR 12 includes 1,2,3,.......7, 8, 9, 10..........

Ensure UR 12 is on all 3 servers and reboot.  If you are still having issues importing and exporting customization files from one environment to the other, let's try and track down the issue as it might not be related to the update rollup

Regards, Donna

Wednesday, September 1, 2010 6:16 PM
  • You should do this while no users are on the system. Restart IIS and restart the CRM Async service, then install the rollup 12 as an Administrator of the CRM server.
    MSCRM Bing'd - http://bingsoft.wordpress.com
    Wednesday, September 1, 2010 7:53 PM
  • Donna and Rhett thanks for the replies.

Ok, I understand both points you've made...I know the Update Rollups are cumulative, but just wanted all 3 servers to be the same to rule out any issues.

I've resolved the problem.  What happened was that our CRM installation seemed to have gone bad because the .dll files where not updating after applying the U12 or any other Update Rollup for that matter, so I decided to reinstall CRM.  Once I reinstalled and applied the U7, U8, U10, and U12 the .dll files were updated successfully each time.

But this still didn't solve my mismatch .dll problem with the Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.dll because I was still unable to import customizations.

I found out after talking to one of our developers that we use the Microsoft.Crm.WebServices.dll in the GAC which is the version that was never being updated after applying the update rollups yet the same file within the Inetpub\wwwroot\bin folder was being updated to the latest version for the U12.  So, I uninstalled it from the GAC, copied/installed the .dll that's in the IIS into the GAC and it got me one step closer but still no go...I could not import customizations.

Again, working with our developer he found after looking through the CRM logs that our production CRM which is the one we're trying to import the customizations into had a Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll in the GAC that's not in our Test environment because for some reason unknown to me it was put into production to fix something else.

The logs was pointing to this file being the problem or the source of the problem.  It turns out that .dll wasn't the latest build version either.

So, we took the Microsoft.Crm.MetadataService.dll that was not of the latest version, uninstalled it from the GAC, took the latest one from IIS and copied/installed it into the GAC as well and that fixed the problem!

• Marked as answer by AngelC2 Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:37 PM
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 2:37 PM