Key used to many times? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Man I'm seriously upset and I thought I would share with you all and make a few comments.

Ok, I have a Compaq Presario which I bought new 3 years ago. It came with Windows XP Home Preinstalled. To get away from all the Hewlett Packard, Yahoo, AOL and other junk programs that came with it, preinstalled, I went out and bought a new hard drive and another copy of Windows XP Home. A few months later, I upgraded from 512MB Ram to 1024MB, and upgraded from a 256MB nVidia card to a 512MB nVidia Card.

Well after using it for a year and a half, and having to reformat and reinstall every other month because of a Virus I keep getting from my Hotmail, Gmail, Yahoo Mail and just about every other email client I have tried, all of a sudden I get a message saying my key has been activated to much.

First of all, no where on the Windows XP box that I purchased, does it say you can only activate it so many times. Since I'm not a frequent user of Microsofts website, how was I supposed to know this?

Second, what are people like me supposed to do when ever we get a virus off the internet? Live with it?

Third....Since people have to activate Windows XP, with their same hardware, why in the world is this policy of only so many activations even a policy? Especially when I have used the Windows Genuine advantage stuff for over a year now. Which I got only because I already validated that my windows is Genuine.

Everytime I have to activate it, I give my full name, Current address, (which has never changed) and email address. Frankly I'm sick and tired of it.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 4:58 AM

Answers

All replies

• You can telephone activate.

-phil

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 5:57 AM
  • Rick R,

As Phil pointed out, you will be able to continue to activate your license for XP, however, after a certain number of activations (which you seem to have reached) your Product Key is "flagged" so that you will have to do a telephone activation, which generally takes less than 7 minutes.  The filling out of name. address and etc is registration, not activation--for privacy reasons these two databases are completely separate and independent of each other.

May I make several suggstions?

1.  Install and update top-quality antivirus software, and be very careful of email attachments, which seems to be the source of your virus infections.  Your email clients are not to blame.

2.  Partition your disk into two partitions, one for the Operating System and programs and the other for your data.  When it comes time to reinstall (or reimage, see below) your data remains safe.

3.  Consider using an external had disk for backup, then use disk imaging software for the backup procedure.  Combined with #2, it will allow you to recover from a problem in less than 1/2 hour.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006 2:24 PM
  • What happen in Windows Vista?

how does activations works?

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 6:30 PM
  •  ferglo wrote:

What happen in Windows Vista?

how does activations works?

Please review the following topic:

What is activation? http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/en-US/Help/4c0a49ef-9ac8-4acc-93b0-080dacda8ea11033.mspx

Wednesday, January 10, 2007 6:50 PM
  • Kindly give me a telephone number i can use for contacting MS about activation.
    Thursday, January 18, 2007 6:40 PM
  • How to activate Windows XP by phone:

To contact a Microsoft customer service representative to activate Windows by phone, follow these steps:

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, point to System Tools, and then click Activate Windows. Or, click the Windows Activation icon in the notification area.

2. Click Yes, I want to telephone a customer service representative to active Windows now.

3. Click Read the Windows Product Activation Privacy Statement, click Back, and then click Next.

4. Follow the steps in the Activate Windows by phone dialog box, and then click Next. Note The number appears now and differs based on the location that you select.

5. When activation is completed and you receive the following message, click OK. You have successfully activated your copy of Windows.

How to activate Windows XP: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307890/en-us  

Thursday, January 18, 2007 8:29 PM