none
Connection to Home Server to restore volume files RRS feed

• Question

• As part of the testing procedure I took the decision to restore one of my computers from a backup on the Home Server.  Folllowing the procedure of loading the Restore CD into the drive and sticking to  the instructions, I have come up with an situation in which the client WILL NOT see the SERVER in either automatic or manual mode.  This is despite the dialogue boxes telling me that it has found and installed all the necessary drivers for both the network and storage systems. 
    I am using four systems through an 8 port Lynksys router and neither of the systems will recognise ther SERVER in the restore mode as described above.  Are there any short cuts to resolving this problem?
    Sunday, July 1, 2007 11:04 AM

Answers

• For any of you that have the same problem as described, check to see if your system is running in DHCP mode otherwise it may not be possible for your client to see the server.  For a particular reason I was running my system with static dns and could not locate the server when trying a restore, but as soon as I changed to DHCP, all was well (I know I should have read the install instructions properly).  Hope this may be of use  to some one.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 4:07 PM

All replies

• For any of you that have the same problem as described, check to see if your system is running in DHCP mode otherwise it may not be possible for your client to see the server.  For a particular reason I was running my system with static dns and could not locate the server when trying a restore, but as soon as I changed to DHCP, all was well (I know I should have read the install instructions properly).  Hope this may be of use  to some one.
    Tuesday, July 3, 2007 4:07 PM
  • My server has a static IP and I don't have any problems with restores.....
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 10:00 AM
  • The system, loaded from the Restore CD, needs running DHCP server in Your network! Tourn it on (on Your router, for example) and WHS will be founded.
    Wednesday, July 4, 2007 12:44 PM
  •  The Ultimate Tester wrote:
    For any of you that have the same problem as described, check to see if your system is running in DHCP mode otherwise it may not be possible for your client to see the server.  For a particular reason I was running my system with static dns and could not locate the server when trying a restore, but as soon as I changed to DHCP, all was well (I know I should have read the install instructions properly).  Hope this may be of use  to some one.

Just clearify, my setup

- WHS static IP,

- Client PC Static IP,

-Client PC DHCP IP (x3), and

- router running DHCP.

I've had no issues installing the connector software on any of the client PC's.

WHS must use the active list of IP's DHCP hold....

Vince

Friday, July 6, 2007 9:26 AM