none
Drives mounted as Unavailable on the remote machine using Invoke-Command RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Everyone,

After installing the latest Windows updates, I'm facing an issue when I try to mount a network drive on a remote machine using the Invoke-Command cmdlet.

My requirement is to run the mount command from Python, so I'm launching a PS script which takes the remote machine's credentials, and execute the command using Invoke-Command.

Tried executing the commands directly from PS Console:

>>> $cred = Get-Credential administrator

>>>

>>> Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock {net use} -ComputerName xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -Credential $cred

New connections will be remembered.

There are no entries in the list.

>>>

>>> Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock {net use X: \\SHARE /user:domain\username password /persistent:YES /y} -ComputerName xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -Credential $cred
    The command completed successfully.

>>>

>>> Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock {net use} -ComputerName xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -Credential $cred

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Unavailable  X:        \\SHARE       Microsoft Windows Network

>>>

The share is only accessible inside the ScriptBlock, but not after, or within the PSSession, if I use Enter-PSSession.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> Invoke-Command -ScriptBlock {gdr; net use X: \\SHARE /user:domain\username password /persistent:YES /y; net use; gdr} -ComputerName xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx -Credential $cred -HideComputerName

Name           Used (GB)     Free (GB) Provider      Root                                               CurrentLocation
    ----           ---------     --------- --------      ----                                               ---------------
    A                                                    A:\
    Alias
    C                  54.37         95.28               C:\                                  Users\Administrator\Documents
    Cert                                                 \
    D                                                    D:\
    E                 119.87         30.13               E:\
    Env
    Function
    HKCU                                                 HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    HKLM                                                 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Variable
    WSMan

Status       Local     Remote                    Network

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OK           X:        \\SHARE       Microsoft Windows Network

A                                                    A:\
    Alias
    C                  54.37         95.28               C:\                                  Users\Administrator\Documents
    Cert                                                 \
    D                                                    D:\
    E                 119.87         30.13               E:\
    Env
    Function
    HKCU                                                 HKEY_CURRENT_USER
    HKLM                                                 HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    Variable
    WSMan
    X                 152.07        323.13               X:\

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Same happens even if I use CredSSP, which shouldn't even matter here as per my opinion, because I'm already passing the credentials to the net use command.

I got the same results with New-PSDrive cmdlet as well as with PsExec.

It only worked with if I passed the -s flag, i.e., as SYSTEM account to PsExec.

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Thursday, December 20, 2018 9:57 PM This is not "troubleshoot my security issue for me" forum
    Tuesday, October 16, 2018 1:05 PM

All replies

• You cannot remotely map a drive as it is prohibited by security.  Search for "second hop restriction" to learn why.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, October 16, 2018 1:42 PM
  • Hi @jrv,

I read the articles about the second hop, but is it a change with the recent updates?

My script has been running for more than a year, but it is from past 2-3 months, that I've started facing these issues.

In any case, I enabled CredSSP, configured the roles, and yet I saw the same results.

The drive was still mounted as Unavailable.

And for this, I would need to configure the Roles on all the machines which would be accessed remotely, which seems like a tedious task.

Is there any workaround?

Appreciate the help!

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 11:02 AM
  • First you need to tell us what it is you are trying to do.  So far you have been very vague and misleading.

A share is not \\share. It is "\\computername\sharename".

"net use" is unnecessary with PowerShell.  Use "New-PsDrive"

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, October 17, 2018 4:27 PM
  • I'm trying to mount a network share on machine B remotely, from the machine A using the Invoke-Command cmdlet.

From machine A, I run the Invoke-Command cmdlet, and pass the command to mount a network share in the -Scriptblock section.

I tried with both net use and New-PSDrive but both results in the same output.

I tried with CredSSP Authentication as well, but unable to access the drive.

The \\share is actually \\computer\share.

I can access the newly mounted drive easily inside the same ScriptBlock, but not in the next / any future commands.

The need here is to be able to mount the drive permanently, so I can access it in the same / later session(s) afterwards.

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:21 AM
  • The drive will not be available if it is not persisted.

To create a session that is reusable use "New-PsSession" and use that session to invoke your scriptblocks.

\_(ツ)_/

Tuesday, October 23, 2018 8:49 AM
  • I tried with the Persist flag for both net use and New-PSDrive but to no help.

net use X: \\SHARE /user:domain\username password /persistent:YES

With New-PSSession, I can use the session object in the same runspace only, but not in subsequent PowerShell processes.

Wednesday, October 24, 2018 12:29 PM