WHS Custom Domain RRS feed

• Question

• My client has WHS 2003 managing backups and providing remote access.  I was in the process of enabling Remote Desktop connection when I found I could not access the router.  Since the router was provided by ATT, a Motorola Netopia 3000 I think, I called them and they told me it needed a hard reset.  After I did this, as expected, I lost all my settings so configured the standard port forwarding to my WHS.  I enabled the stock 3389, 443, 4125 pinholes as ATT likes to call it but now I had zero access. 

I started digging and noticed the the custom domain was not updating and still showed the old IP address.  After refreshing and configuring I finally chose to release my domain name.  Now this is a much bigger problem now as the WHS wont let me use my oldldservername.homeserver.com address.  Not the end of the world but my Sharepoint is already configured to use the oldservername.homeserver.com address as well as my customers.  Is there a way I can get my oldservername.homeserver.com address after I have released it?

Tuesday, May 3, 2011 3:24 AM

All replies

• My understanding is that once you release the name it becomes "up for grabs", but not immediately. Suggest you try again later. Strange that it was not updating which sounds as though there is a fundamental problem which needs solving.
    Wednesday, May 4, 2011 5:10 PM
  • I tried to get the domain name back a week or so after this problem and I was still unable to reserve the name.
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011 2:02 AM