SyncToy 2.1 Windows 7 User directory between computers RRS feed

• Question

• I am wanting to use SyncToy 2.1 between two Windows 7 computers, where a USB Western Digital drive is the transport.

I was going to set c:\Users\bnhot and e:\Users\bnhot as the pair, but then I noticed that there are many directories in c:\Users\bnhot\appdata. Some of these seem to be system related, others application related.

What is the proper set of pairs so I can keep my applications in addition to my files properly sync'ed between two computers without interfering with Windows behavior.

Also, what is the proper set of pairs or how to run this if there are multiple user accounts that need to be sync'ed?

Thanks!

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:34 AM

All replies

• Hi bn_hot,

It is difficult to say which folder is appropriate to be included in a sync session, because that depends on your own scenario, on your own need. But I think you should not sync the contents of the “AppData” folder unless you can make sure how your application stores and uses the data. An application has its certain way and places to store its data and config information. So simply copy their data files may break these applications!

I suggest you make sure what kind of data and data of what applications you want to sync, before you decide which folders you need to sync. And please do not sync any folders which you do not familiar with.

BTW, you do not need to create a set of folder pairs. Instead, you can create just one single folder pair with “c:\Users\bnhot” and select only the sub folders you need to sync.

We can talk and try what folders you need to sync later if you’d like to show more details.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 6:54 AM
  • For example, C:\Users\brian\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Mail, that has the mail account settings, etc. 

What I need is a way to keep a user account sync'ed between computers that are going to be 1200 miles apart.  In Solaris this is easy, I would just network the users home directory and be done with it.  But on Windows, the lines between the user, the applications, and the OS are so blurred I'm not sure what I really need to get, so help please :)

Thanks

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:22 PM
  • Hi bn_hot,

Thank you for sharing your scenario, it helps us to improve SyncToy.

I think you can sync “Windows Mail” folder directly with SyncToy. About this folder, I found the information that “The Windows registry no longer contains this account data; it is now stored in one or more files, each representing a user account.” from the page http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms715237(VS.85).aspx. The data files in this folder are opened to access by applications, including 3rd-party applications. So simply copying should work.

Of course, I am not familiar about this folder and have no scenarios to have a try for now. So you’d better ask the one who is familiar with the folder or who is using applications accessing this folder, for a confirmation.

One thing you should notice is SyncToy cannot merge file changes. So when conflict changes happen in one single file, the changes from one side will overwrite the change in another. Thus you will have a risk of losing information (unless you can make sure no conflicts will happen). Sync Toy is just a file sync tool and currently does not support add-ins to extend itself. It may not good at syncing user account configuration in some scenarios. So the reliable way is finding some tool which specially syncs “Windows Mail” data.

That is my opinion. And welcome if you would like to talk about other scenarios. We will try to find a work around way or add your scenarios to “wish list”.

Thanks

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Wednesday, December 9, 2009 3:08 AM