Connecting 2 instances of PS 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• My client is contemplating to move to PS 2010, we have currently completed an envisioning exercise based on EPM 2007 with 4 project server instances feeding into one portfolio server instance. One of the project server instances is deployed in one of the client divisions and is hosted totally seperately from the other project server instances.

Is it possible to simulate the same setup with PS 2010? Splitting off one instance onto a seperate hosted environment and feeding it into the other "common" instance supporting the three other divisions on its own hosted environment?

I know the optimal approach it to run all four divisions in one PS 2010 but there are some business/security/political constraints that are forcing us to consider this sub optimal solution.

Monday, August 9, 2010 5:39 AM

Answers

All replies

• What exactly do you want to achieve by connecting the instances? Is it
    for reporting only? Of also viewing and editing data?

If it's for reporting only, you can build your own datawarehouse based
    on the reporting databases of the different instances, and build your
    reporting on top of this datawarehouse (SSRS reports, OLAP, ...)

projectnator wrote:
    >
    > My client is contemplating to move to PS 2010, we have currently
    > completed an envisioning exercise based on EPM 2007 with 4 project
    > server instances feeding into one portfolio server instance. One of
    > the project server instances is deployed in one of the
    > client divisions and is hosted totally seperately from the other
    > project server instances.
    >
    > Is it possible to simulate the same setup with PS 2010? Splitting off
    > one instance onto a seperate hosted environment and feeding it into
    > the other "common" instance supporting the three other divisions on
    > its own hosted environment?
    >
    > I know the optimal approach it to run all four divisions in one PS
    > 2010 but there are some business/security/political constraints that
    > are forcing us to consider this sub optimal solution.
    >

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:25 AM
  • Dear HansH.

Thanks for the reply.

The current solution is for one portfolio server instance to feed 4 project server instances with initiatives and then obviously for 4 project servers to roll-up into the single portfolio server "project level data to portfolios". In 2007 the gateway obviously facilitates this.

In PS 2010 obviously everything in one and no gateway.

So to answer your question, reporting is obviously the main reason, but the initiatives are spawned from the portfolio server.

So with the PS 2010 solution the one "project and portfolio" server will now be used to initiate projects for the both instances, and the "project only" instance only for projects. Portfolio reports and organisation wide project reports need to come from the "project and portfolio" instance or a datawarehouse as you suggest.

From your comments it seems that there is now no more standard connection, as I have learnt as well and the solution is going to be a custom developed interface or warehouse, which will cost a fair bit.

I suppose it is easier to get the client to conform to the one instance option of PS2010.

Monday, August 9, 2010 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Whilst it is a sub-optimal solution, you can still interface Project Server 2010 instances with a Portfolio Server 2007 instance and it's associated gateway, keeping the segregation you are after, but gaining the functionality and features of the non portfolio 2010 features. 

Of course, you will lose some of the excellent Portfolio capabilities that 2010 provides such as depts and full project lifecycle management via workflow, but it might meet your needs. 

My 2 cents...

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, August 9, 2010 9:25 AM
  • Yes, continue to use Portfolio Server 2007 is another option.

Here is some interesting reading for you (in case you missed it):
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=12e25e2b-fda6-4fda-9f1b-fa39134e26ee&displaylang=en

The pdf document summarizes your options in a nutshell.

Kind regards,
    Hans

Alexander Burton wrote:

Hi,

Whilst it is a sub-optimal solution, you can still interface Project Server 2010 instances with a Portfolio Server 2007 instance and it's associated gateway, keeping the segregation you are after, but gaining the functionality and features of the non portfolio 2010 features. 

Of course, you will lose some of the excellent Portfolio capabilities that 2010 provides such as depts and full project lifecycle management via workflow, but it might meet your needs. 

My 2 cents...

Alex Burton
    www.epmsource.com | Twitter
    Project Server TechCenter | Project Developer Center | Project Server Help | Project Product Page
    Monday, August 9, 2010 9:38 AM