Backing up my server off site RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I currently use my WHS box for file sharing and PC backups.  It currently has two hard drives in it with folder duplication enabled.  I'd like to begin making an offsite backup of my WHS box in case something catastrophic happens (my next door neighbor's house recently burned down which was quite an eye-opening experience).

My server contains about 300-350gb of data that I'd like to back up.  I've got a 360gb external USB drive that I've used before, but it's just not quite big enough to back up everything.  So I just purchased a 1 TB drive and was planning on getting either an external enclosure or external dock connected via USB or eSATA.  Now for my questions...

1)  It will take a really long time to back up all of my data using USB so I'd like eSATA speeds.  I've never used eSATA but I've spoken with a couple of people who have a lot of trouble with it not working with their desktop OS (XP, Vista).  Either the drive is not recognized or plugging in the drive locks the system up.  I have an eSATA port on my motherboard (Gigabyte GA-MA78GPM-UD2H) so could use that.  How well does eSATA work with WHS?  Should I be worried about the negative stories I've heard about eSATA?

2)  Would a hot swap SATA rack work?  Would I still get the "backup" option when adding a drive connected via SATA rather than an external interface like eSATA or USB?  A hot swap rack like this seems like it would be very convenient and a little less expensive than a dock or enclosure:  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817990001

Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:09 PM

Answers

• Hi,
    I did not use s-SATA, but have not read about problems, as long as it was a simple e-SATA enclosure for one disk with no own firmware interacting.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by EHole Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:30 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:23 AM

All replies

• Hi,
    a manual backup using the console will only take a long time for the first time, since subsequent backups to the same disk are only writing altered content to the disk.

But to be honest - one disk is not enough. Assume the worst case - the server destroying incident happens, just while backup is running. Or server is damaged, and in all the stress the disk hits the ground while you take it of the cabinet.

I like those RDX drives - unfortunately they are still expensive, so I could not test them on WHS.

If an internal hot swap SATA enclosure would work or not, may depend on the controller drivers. Usually they detect incoming disks well, but they do not always see them leaving again.

Olaf
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:18 PM
  • Hi,
    a manual backup using the console will only take a long time for the first time, since subsequent backups to the same disk are only writing altered content to the disk.

But to be honest - one disk is not enough. Assume the worst case - the server destroying incident happens, just while backup is running. Or server is damaged, and in all the stress the disk hits the ground while you take it of the cabinet.

I like those RDX drives - unfortunately they are still expensive, so I could not test them on WHS.

If an internal hot swap SATA enclosure would work or not, may depend on the controller drivers. Usually they detect incoming disks well, but they do not always see them leaving again.

Olaf
    Thanks for the quick reply, Olaf.  I understand what you're saying about one disk not being enough and do plan on getting a second one as a rotating monthly off site backup.

If the internal hot swap SATA enclosure will allow me to select the "backup" option instead of adding the disk to the storage pool, I'm ok with shutting down and restarting when adding and removing the disk.  I don't necessarily care about the hot swap functionality - I just would like fast speeds that are reliable.

Have you used an eSATA connection with Windows Home Server before?  I'm ok with using an external eSATA enclosure instead of the internal hot swap one.
    Thursday, November 5, 2009 10:58 PM
  • Hi,
    I did not use s-SATA, but have not read about problems, as long as it was a simple e-SATA enclosure for one disk with no own firmware interacting.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by EHole Tuesday, November 10, 2009 5:30 AM
    Friday, November 6, 2009 8:23 AM
  • Did you ever trying using one of the internal hot swap drives as a backup?  I wouldn't mind buying an extra internal bay 'mechanism' to allow me to have 1 internal bay used to for rotating between two hard drives offsite.

Thanks.
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 6:02 AM
  • Hi Terry,
    you can do that, although I am not sure, if the "hot" removal through console is working for this drive - since it is not necessary handled as external disk. This would be up to testing and may also depend from drivers and controller.
    So in worst case you would have to shut down the server at least for the removal.
    Olaf
    Thursday, December 10, 2009 12:20 PM
  • RDX does not work.. I have one and although it will recoginize it in the storage tab and even allow you to set it as a backup device once the server backup is started it tells you there is no backup device available.
    Friday, January 8, 2010 5:56 PM
  • Interesting. Did you insert the disk before or after the server has been booted or at least connect the drive with already inserted media to the USB port?
    Olaf

Monday, January 11, 2010 9:08 AM