What Did I Do? and How Can I undo it? RRS feed

• Question

• I reinstalled WHS (the older version) to my server.  I restore all the shares from the backup.  I am using several drives totalling about 2TB.  The sys drive C is on a separate 80 gb drive.

All booted ok, but I then went to computer management, disk management, and made the 3 separate drives active(not the sys drive partition extension as it warned me not to).

Now when I rebooted I get NTDLR missing and it will not reboot.  If I disconnect the 3 drives I made active, WHS boots normally.

Did I mess up by making the other drives active?  Is there a way to make them UNACTIVE, or will I have to restore the drives?  I don't know how to even do this since it won't reboot with those drive connected.

Help!

Thanks

Mike DeMeo
    Wednesday, May 9, 2012 4:39 PM

All replies

• Setting them as Active probably means your computer is trying to boot from one of them and of course will fail. Try using your BIOS boot routine to select the boot drive and point it to the disk containing your WHS installation. If that works you should be able to sat your WHS partition as "Active". If that doesn't work try booting without your data drives connected and if they are SATA drives and your system is set in AHCI mode your WHS system should see them when you connect them one by one. Set WHS as the Active partition.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:56 PM