Windows Security Center RRS feed

• Question

•  

I have the One Care Beta 2 installed, and the Windows Security Center does not recognize that I have the Firewall and Virus Protection running.  I have checked the firewall, and it is secure.  I have not checked the virus protection, but I hope that is OK.

So, from another thread, I notified Security Center I am monitoring the virus protection and firewall myself, and the warning is now gone.  I will test later to see if the warning does not reappear on reboot.

Is there a method to check if the machine is conducting virus scans?

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 9:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• You can fix the problem with Security Center by repairing the WMI database per the information in this thread - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1425272&SiteID=2

To see the activity from OneCare, open OneCare, click on change settings, then go to the logging tab and select create a support log. The report will open in your browser.

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 1:37 AM
  • I am running Windows XP.  The fix in the link you mentioned for XP is very cumbersome; I assume this problem will be solved in the final version of One Care.  Although I was able to visit the support log, and observed that the Firewall and Virus scan are both active, I would expect the software programs to recognize this.

The fix for Vista seems simpler, but the fix for XP seemed too complicated, or at least I felt hesitant to do them.  (Your post on that thread, 27 Apr 2007 1:18 AM).

I guess I am suggesting that in the realm of beta testing, this is OK, and I feel confident ONe Care is protecting my PC.  However, in a final version, this type of problem would not be acceptable.

Thanks for the reply.

Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:58 AM
  • I agree that the fix is pretty cumbersome. I hope that the OneCare team can include this as one of the automated fixes available from Help within OneCare. The problem isn't OneCare, though, but the database used by the Windows Security Center being corrupt for unknown reasons. Of course, if it was corrupted by an uninstall of another security product and/or the installation of OneCare, that is a problem!

-steve

Thursday, November 1, 2007 6:06 PM