COMPUTER FAN CONSTANTLY RUNNING/ DRIVES YOU INSANE RRS feed

• Question

• PLEASE!!!!!! SOMEONE HELP.. MY COMPUTER FAN IS ALMOST ALWAYS RUNNING HARD AND FAST. IT MAKES EVERYTHING SLOW. NOW THE BACK UP WONT EVEN COMPLETE.

I HAD THIS PROBLEM BEFORE AND I BELIEVE STEVE IS THE ONE THAT GAVE ME SOME MIRACLE MOVES TO MAKE IT QUIT. IM HOPING THAT SOMEONE OUT THERE WILL BE ABLE TO HELP ME. I NEED TO SET UP A ROUTER AND I DO NOT WANT TO DO THIS UNTIL THE PROBLEM IS RESLOVED.....

THAT NOICE TENDS TO DRIVE YOU CRAZY. WHEN THE COMPUTER FAN IS RUNNING REAL FAST AND HARD. HELP!!!!!!

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:57 PM

Answers

• Hi, Kim.

Is this a laptop or a desktop machine? The first thing I'd check for is adequate ventilation for the PC - too much heat can cause the fans to run excessively. Clear the vents of dust, make sure that there is good airflow around the case.

Is this happening all the time or only when OneCare is scanning?

The fact that you mention the PC is slow leads me to suspect that there may be a runaway process or service responsible for this. Did it start after an update to OneCare or another program? Did it start after you installed a new program?

You may want to contact support to have them look at your process list and active tasks to make sure that there isn't something conflicting with OneCare to cause MSMPENG, for example, to use excessive CPU and, in turn, cause the PC to run hot and hence the fan issue as well as slowness due to other processes needing to wait for CPU time.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:43 PM