Service? RRS feed

• Question

• How do I create a Service that runs my program without having to login on Vail? (Server 2008)

I have tried NSSM, but it dosnt work here..

Regards.

Frederik

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 1:24 PM

Answers

• See this thread in another forum, found as the first result on this search.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:05 PM
  • Fredrik,
    As an anternative to creating a service you could consider creating a shedule to start your program at system startup.

For this, start the Task Schedular form the VAIL desktop and create a new scheduled in the "Task Schedular Library".
    General: Run when the user is logged on or not.
    Trigger: At startup.
    Actions: Start a program.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:12 AM

All replies

• See this thread in another forum, found as the first result on this search.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 27, 2010 3:05 PM
  • I have tried manually creating a service with srvany.exe from Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools and NSSM.. Both of them creates the entry in Services.msc, and i can run it and see the program in Windows Task Manager, but the program is not "running.." - the code inside is not executed though I cannot delete the program (then it must be started or used in some way!)

I tried with uTorrent, it does not respond or becomes visible in Taskbar. I have also tried making my own "Hello World" program, it does not show any of the messages I programmed it to.

I have also tried in Services.msc to alter its Log On Properties to both "Local System account" with and without "Allow service to interact with desktop" (wich I believe must be the right choice to have ON?) and the Administrator account of wich I am logged into.

Does any of this sound familiar or have anyone tried something like it? Have anybody got their own Service/Application to actually work?

Does anybody know what to do?? (Frustrated!) hehe..

Thanks.

Frederik

Wednesday, October 27, 2010 4:20 PM
  • Fredrik,
    As an anternative to creating a service you could consider creating a shedule to start your program at system startup.

For this, start the Task Schedular form the VAIL desktop and create a new scheduled in the "Task Schedular Library".
    General: Run when the user is logged on or not.
    Trigger: At startup.
    Actions: Start a program.

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Thursday, October 28, 2010 8:12 AM