MCT Certification path C# RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in the MCT program to become a trainer.

I am a C# developer who has got many years of experience using C#. I have decided to become a MCT on C# so I can teach MS courses.

I see two possibilities (please correct me if I am wrong)

1)  Become a MCPD on C# 2.0 Windows Forms  by passing 70-536, 70-526 and 70-548. Then take another exam which shows you can train to become MCT.

2) Become a MCPD on C# 3.5 Windows Forms  by passing 70-536 , 70-505 and 70-563. Then take another exam which shows you can train to become MCT.

As I understand the C# 2.0 exams are out, study kits are available and I can go and do them now.

However, C# 3.5 exams (505, 563) are not available until January 2009, study kits are available even later.

I have already passed the 70-536 so I am now deciding what can be done next.

Here are my questions:
    1)  Seems logical to become an MCT on the latest version than a previous version that may go obsolete soon. However, I cant do this until January 2009. Is  it wise to go ahead with MCT C# 2.0 now and then do the other exams later?

2) Would there be an upgrade path from Choice 1 of exams mentioned above to Choice 2 of exams. In other words can I upgrade from MCT C# 2.0 to MCT C# 3.5? Does this involve only one more exam or do I have to do more exams which defies the point of upgrading. (i.e. I end up doing all exams!)

3) As I understand MCT can teach specific courses based on their status defined by the exams they have passed. Where can I find what I can teach when I have passed these exams?

4) I have noticed that training houses are already advertising courses on VS 2008 Win Dev from MS. If the exams for C# 3.5 Win Dev are not out yet, then who is teaching them? Can a MCT of a previous version go and teach the new VS2008 courses, or this is not allowed?

5) I noticed that all other exams on WCF and WPF, etc are available now but not Win  Froms Dev. Is that because of lack of demand?

Thanks in advance for clarification
    • Moved by Alicia CalesMicrosoft employee Friday, October 17, 2008 8:41 AM Not Learning Manager KB (Moved from Learning Manager Knowledge Base to Training and Certification)
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 7:21 PM

Answers

•  Good Morning,
    1. I would suggest doing the .Net 2.0 MCPD certification, there will be an upgrade path to the .Net 3.5 certifications.
    2. Generally it is only one exam for an upgrade, but depending on the structure and the certification being upgraded it could be more.
    3. There is a competencies document that outlines which certifications are needed for each course. This is available through the MCT Private site.
    4. generally during the release period there is an allowance of previous certifications being allowed to teach the class, this expires after the last exam goes live.
    5. there are a number of reasons for an exam coming out after others, amount of time needed to create the exam, amount of review needed, order in the line to get built( cant do them all at once )
    If you have further questions, feel free to drop me an email at willchap@microsoft.com

Bill Chapman

Bill Chapman, MCT, MCSD, MCDBA, MCSE, ITIL, MSFP, CTT, JABL
    Monday, October 20, 2008 6:12 PM

All replies

• Hi There-

I am moving this to the Training and Certification forum as they will be the ones to anser this question. 

Thanks!
    Alicia
    Program Manager, Server and Tools Online Engineering Live Services Team
    Friday, October 17, 2008 8:40 AM
  •  Good Morning,
    1. I would suggest doing the .Net 2.0 MCPD certification, there will be an upgrade path to the .Net 3.5 certifications.
    2. Generally it is only one exam for an upgrade, but depending on the structure and the certification being upgraded it could be more.
    3. There is a competencies document that outlines which certifications are needed for each course. This is available through the MCT Private site.
    4. generally during the release period there is an allowance of previous certifications being allowed to teach the class, this expires after the last exam goes live.
    5. there are a number of reasons for an exam coming out after others, amount of time needed to create the exam, amount of review needed, order in the line to get built( cant do them all at once )
    If you have further questions, feel free to drop me an email at willchap@microsoft.com

Bill Chapman

Bill Chapman, MCT, MCSD, MCDBA, MCSE, ITIL, MSFP, CTT, JABL
    Monday, October 20, 2008 6:12 PM