email settings: tracking/matching questions? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - I'm trying to get a better understanding of email tracking/matching functionality in CRM:

tracking:
    ----------
    * Prefix: Is this field required? Or generally recommended? Do you generally use a simple word/acronym for the prefix to reflect the crm org?
    * Deployment base tracking number: Not sure what this is?
    * Number of digits for user numbers: Does CRM generate a "user number" for a user the first time he sends *or* receives an email in CRM? What happens if the value for this setting is set to 2 but then the system grows to 100 users who are sending/receiving email?
    * Number of digits for incremental message counter: Is this number incremented for a particular email thread? Or is this number cumulatively incremented for all emails that a user sends/receives?  If the total number grows beyond the configured setting then what happens?  Does it grow as needed?  Or does the email fail at that point?

matching:
    ----------
    * Filter subject keywords: has a default value of "^[\s]*([\w]+\s?:[\s]*)+"  What is the purpose of this regex?  What does it do?
    * Max # of subject keywords or recipients: The default of 20 seems reasonable but what would be the downside of setting it to 40?
    * Max diff allowed between subject keywords: The default is 0. I've seen e-mails with an extra keyword in the subject line simply not get delivered.  Do you allow any leniance with this process by bumping up this number?  Otherwise, what is your process for handling emails that don't get imported into CRM simply because there's an extra word in the subject line?
    * Minimum # of recipients required to match: Why is this set to 2? Seems like most e-mails will only have 1 recipient?  Maybe I'm not clear on what this setting means?

Friday, August 30, 2013 12:47 AM

All replies

• Friday, August 30, 2013 7:19 AM
  • Thanks.  My main remaining concern is about "Number of digits for incremental message counter."  The default is 4 and if a user sends >= 10000 messages then this number will reset and possibly cause data loss.

I'm sure that CRM devs with experience on more than 1 CRM project have encountered an issue where the default of 4 digits was used, but the system outgrew this setting.  What was your experience when you bumped this setting to a higher number?  Did everything work as expected or did you encounter any issues?
    Friday, August 30, 2013 4:44 PM
  • I usually turn off tracking tokens altogether as smart matching works well enough on its own.

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

Friday, August 30, 2013 10:28 PM
  • Thanks Paul, does anyone else here choose to turn off tracking tokens for their CRM implementations? Also, I'm still interested in getting feedback regarding your knowledge/experience when: * The tracking token digits setting is too low and rolls over, what's the impact? * The tracking token digits setting is too low, and an admin bumps up the token digits setting, is there any risk?
    Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:16 PM
  • The important thing to remember about tracking tokens and smart matching is that it's only used to link e-mail correlations. If other words if the matching/tracking token matches another e-mail in the system, it will set the new e-mail to be regarding the same record as the matching e-mail.

If the new e-mail does not match any existing e-mails, it will still be tracked, however it will not be set regarding any existing records.

To answer your remaining two queries, if the tracking token rolls over, the e-mails will still have to match the smart matching rules (same subject/recipients etc) so it's unlikely that these will both match.

The reason I say we usually turn off the tracking token (and I'm sure most will agree) is because the smart matching alone is usually enough to determine if an e-mail matching another (and even if it doesn't then it simply won't be set regarding anything). The tracking token just ends up being a nuisance putting 'CRM:0110' etc onto the end of every e-mails subject, which is why it is often disabled.

Hope that helps

Paul

If my response helped you find your answer please show your thanks by taking the time to "Mark As Answer" and "Vote As Helpful".

Twitter LinkedIn Facebook Blog Magnetism

Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:36 PM
  • Thanks Paul.  Please consider the following scenario:

* An email exists in CRM with tracking token 1001 and RegardingId 123
    * CRM receives another email with tracking token 1001 6 months later from a different contact

What would be the net impact?

Tuesday, September 3, 2013 2:59 PM