Contact / Account Relationship - Auto Populating Fields RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to default certain information from the account entity into the contact entity and have setup the relationships. This works correctly when I add the contact from the account card but not if I add the contact first and select the parent account from the look up. Is there a restriction with the parent/child relationship that means we can only do this if you are creating the contact from the account? Any way around this?

Thursday, April 18, 2013 5:55 PM

Answers

• Yes, the relationship attributes are only inherited if you create the child record starting from the parent form. To overcome this limitation, you could create a workflow process that is triggered on the update event of the Parent Account field of the Contact form, then pull in the necessary fields from the newly selected account down to the contact record.

Jukka Niiranen - My blog: Surviving CRM - Follow @jukkan on Twitter

• Proposed as answer by Jukka NiiranenMVP Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by LMess Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:14 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:01 PM
  • When you create a contact from the account form, the parent account and other related fields populates directly. You could also use mappings (customization > entities > contact > relationships > N:1 relations > mappings) to map the fields of the account to the contact. However, when you create a contact not from the account form these did not populate. To populate the fields you have to use the workflows. Create a workflow on the change of the parent account for the contact entity. Then do the desired updates on the contact from the parent account.

BTW, if you want to these fields be populated real time, you could use a JavaScript.

My Weblog -- My Website

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:04 PM

All replies

• Yes, the relationship attributes are only inherited if you create the child record starting from the parent form. To overcome this limitation, you could create a workflow process that is triggered on the update event of the Parent Account field of the Contact form, then pull in the necessary fields from the newly selected account down to the contact record.

Jukka Niiranen - My blog: Surviving CRM - Follow @jukkan on Twitter

• Proposed as answer by Jukka NiiranenMVP Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:01 PM
    • Marked as answer by LMess Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:14 PM
    Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:01 PM
  • When you create a contact from the account form, the parent account and other related fields populates directly. You could also use mappings (customization > entities > contact > relationships > N:1 relations > mappings) to map the fields of the account to the contact. However, when you create a contact not from the account form these did not populate. To populate the fields you have to use the workflows. Create a workflow on the change of the parent account for the contact entity. Then do the desired updates on the contact from the parent account.

BTW, if you want to these fields be populated real time, you could use a JavaScript.

My Weblog -- My Website

Thursday, April 18, 2013 6:04 PM