none
Should I index columns that are used for filtered scope to improve performance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I wonder if I should add indexes on the columns that are used for a filtered scope.

Let's say on the server side I have a large table customer (about  1 million records) and I sync part of this with a filtered scope to the clients.

I assume that before the sync, the table customer is (table-)scanned for records matching the filter clause, so this process is much faster when an index exists.

Is this right, or does the provision process takes care of that?

Or should trace the sync and then tune with DTA?

Thanks
    Christian
    Friday, December 9, 2011 11:12 AM

Answers

• a sync framework application can be optimized in the same way that you optimize other database applications.

apart from optimizing indexes (checking for defragmentation, reorganize/rebuild indexes, update statistics on base and metadata tables), make sure you do regular metadata cleanup as well.

• Marked as answer by chl-h Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:12 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:56 AM

All replies

• a sync framework application can be optimized in the same way that you optimize other database applications.

apart from optimizing indexes (checking for defragmentation, reorganize/rebuild indexes, update statistics on base and metadata tables), make sure you do regular metadata cleanup as well.

• Marked as answer by chl-h Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:12 PM
    Saturday, December 10, 2011 10:56 AM
  • HI June,

thanks for your answer.

Can you recommend a link for reading more about metadata cleanup?

Thanks

Christian

Wednesday, December 14, 2011 3:13 PM
  • Thursday, December 15, 2011 1:15 AM