Auto Power On for HP Media Smart Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have an HP Mediasmart EX470.

How can I configure it so that it auto-powers on after a power outage?  I assume this would be a BIOS setting so how do I edit the BIOS?  There is no display so is there a utility anybody knows of?

Looking forward...

Cheers

Daren
    Friday, July 3, 2009 7:00 AM

Answers

• In order to be able to make BIOS changes, you either need to know the exact sequence of keystrokes required, or you need the ability to see what you're doing. In either case you need to be able to hook up a keyboard as well...

The BIOS in the EX470 is a Phoenix BIOS, if I recall correctly, so you might be able to figure out the keystrokes required. I would honestly not make the attempt without video, however. To that point, there's someone over here that was making cables at one point.

All of this is unsupported of course, and if you hose your server severely, you will have very limited options. It's possible to brick your server with the wrong settings in the BIOS, I'm sure, so be careful...
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Typically no, because those docking units require driver support to function.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:49 PM

All replies

• In order to be able to make BIOS changes, you either need to know the exact sequence of keystrokes required, or you need the ability to see what you're doing. In either case you need to be able to hook up a keyboard as well...

The BIOS in the EX470 is a Phoenix BIOS, if I recall correctly, so you might be able to figure out the keystrokes required. I would honestly not make the attempt without video, however. To that point, there's someone over here that was making cables at one point.

All of this is unsupported of course, and if you hose your server severely, you will have very limited options. It's possible to brick your server with the wrong settings in the BIOS, I'm sure, so be careful...
    Friday, July 3, 2009 5:18 PM
  • Hi

Could I simply plug in a USB docking unit tha has KVM ports?

Daren

Saturday, July 4, 2009 12:23 PM
  • Typically no, because those docking units require driver support to function.
    Saturday, July 4, 2009 1:49 PM