Windows Home Server on a Via Pico - ITX - Small, Quiet and Efficient RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I'm contemplating the idea to build a Pico-ITX sytem to use as a home
    server.
    I read online though that the PX10000 board is not compatible with Windows
    Home Server, because of a ACPI 2.0 requirements MS newer Os's have.

Does any one here have an idea on how to overcome this problem?

Via the board manufarer says the board is not Vista compatible, but I've read that some people were able using some obscure method....

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 9:18 PM

Answers

All replies

•  

If loading a machine without my wife, kids, dogs and employees bugging me every ten seconds can be considered an "obscure method", then yeah, it can be done. I have run vista, xp, win ce, xp embedded, and have had some luck with the BS-DOS (thats what I like to call my own super special deluxe BlueScreenofDeathOperatingSystem.

I try to use embedded boards in Application Specific roles. A media server or a Set Top Box or a Standalone Security Cam Appliance, a Car PC. As long as your not trying to do it all at once, your cool.

With that said, remember that each OS has certain requirements that have to be met regaurdless. MCE HAD to have an analog tuner, Home Server won't let you install the OS unless you have a 60 gig hdd I think... I run four car pc's in my SUV. They access the internet over a cell pcmcia aircard, stream all our in car entertainment, etc using a VIA MII-12000 running Home Server. Swing for the fence, thats what embedded hardware is all about.

C

Thursday, June 12, 2008 12:56 AM
  • I am using an old Shuttle small form factor pc for WHS. It works fine and it very quiet as the shuttles where designed to be used in the living room. They have a high tech cpu cooler and very quiet power supplies. It's a SN41G2, based on the nforce2 chipset. As these do not work so well on Vista (thanks to nvidia and no decent drivers), you may be able to pick one up on Ebay.

I removed my agp graphics card and am using the onboard share memory nvidia graphics. I have added a dual channel SATA card. It is booting from an IDE drive with 2x750GB sata as data drives.

Saturday, June 14, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I went ahead and bought the system, Via PX10000g board, 1Gb 677 memory and a wd 320 gb Sata HDD all of it inside a Serener fanless case.

And as expected it does give an error when installing WHS, but I made some progress on finding where the problems comes from, It's sort of reply the OS needs to get when it queries the PCI Bus.

I did install XP which works like a charm... just wished the WHS would go in...

Thanks anyway.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 4:02 AM
  • Don't forget that any drivers that are required should be Server 2003 compatible.  XP drivers can sometimes be used successfully, but you takes your chances.

Colin

Sunday, June 15, 2008 8:58 AM
  • Anyone tried a new Intel Atom?  I just ordered it and a mini-itx case with the intent of building an XP-based iTunes appliance, but am willing to do a home server trial on it just for kicks.

The file corruption bug really left a bad taste in my mouth and makes me think fundamentally all the shadow-copy business is bad for business, so I'm moving towards a simpler file/print server and jungle disk / S3 for real backup.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:49 PM
  •  

Here is how I'm planing to solve this problem, http://www.tatewake.com/wiki/papers:installing_vista_rc2_with_an_older_bios#possible_alternative_methods

I went through several other methods to do it and this one seemed to be the least obscure.

If anyone know any better way please let me know

Thanks.

Friday, June 20, 2008 10:17 AM
  • I am using an old Via EPIA (Via Ezra) 800Mhz motherboard 512MB RAM with two 250GB drives. No problems with drivers at all during installation.
    I have about 150GB of shared data on it to date.
    So far I have tested streaming audio to my Nokia N95 8GB phone and video and audio to my Vista laptop.
    Needless to say I do not intend to do any transcoding etc on. it.
    I will have to measure the power consumption sometime but it can't be much.
    Everything seems fine.
    Paul
    Sunday, September 21, 2008 1:08 PM