Installing OCS Enterprise server R2 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I've a few questons about this install. I would be very grateful for any advice.

a quick description of my setup, for a test environment.

All servers installed with Win 2003 Enterprise, full updated, all 32 bit, except the OCS server is the only 64bit  install.
    Not sure if this might cause any issues.

my servers
    [DC/AD/DNS/DHCP 32bit]-----[MSSQL Server 32bit]------[OCS-Server-R2-64bit]

I ran the OCS setup.exe 32bit on my Domain Controller to prepare Active directory.

I then ran the OCS setup.exe 32bit "Deploy Ent Pool in Consol Topology" on my MSSQL server,
    I actually ran the prepare AD here too.

It looks like I created the pool and configured it all fine, I created a DNS record for it.

Then when I move to my OCS server , I tried to "Add Ent Edition Server to Pool", it cannot detect an available pools.

All servers are on the domain, and have been logged into as domain admin just in case.
    Should the Pool created on the MSSQL server be available? or do I have to create another one on the OCS Server?

I'm unsure about the sequence of steps, any help is very welcome. 

many thanks!
    S

Monday, April 27, 2009 6:20 PM

All replies

• Please follow the Deployment guide
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb894699.aspx
    - Belgian Unified Communications Community : http://www.pro-exchange.be -
    Monday, April 27, 2009 8:50 PM
  • thasnk for the RTFM advice...

So my problem is when I try to "Add Ent Ed Server to pool" I get the error

"There are no pools available for this operation. Please make sure you have sufficient privileges. If a pool was recently created, please wait for active directory replication to finish and try again. (error code: 0xC3EC794D)"

I am folloing the the install guide, but it doesn;t make clear that once the pool is configured on the MSSQL server, should the next step , Add Servers to Pool  be carried out on whats to be the OCS Server, or the MSSQL server, which I presume is the backend database server.

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:17 AM
  • LMAO @ "thasnk for the RTFM advice... "

All the MVP's do in these forums is point to MS technet, that we professionals already knew about and read them all. some times i wonder these MVP actually do production isntall ? most of them sound like they are working in controlled lab envoirnment

OCS 2007 R2 enterprise edition error code: 0xC3EC794D

Before creating and configuring pool, install the SQL client tools on the Front End server. Otherwise create and configure the pool from the back-end server.

http://www.ocspedia.com/FE/conf_pool.htm

I did install the sql client tools on my ocs Ent FE server, but still I was not able to see the pool. so have to configure the pool on back end sql server

• Edited by ahmerz Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:13 PM
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 2:05 PM
  • Hi :)  yea their probably an automated script that links keywords to the most appropiate technotes:)lol:)

Thanks for the reply!

I eventually found that ocspedia site also, its really good!

However, as it can only be I'm have the opposite experience that you had I think...

I created the pool and configured it from my mssql server, and I can ping it from all of the servers, returning the address
    of the OCS server as the set-up procedure detailed.

Then when I move to my ocs server, and try to "add server to pool" it reports the error 0xC3EC794D, cannot find any pool.
    even though I can ping it by name.

I tried then to install the SQL tools on the OCS server, and attempt to create another pool, but there some issue there too.
    It reports "processing the backend's configuration database settings failed." and so on..

Any other toughts very welcome...I'll keep plugging away in the meantime..

thasnk!!
    S

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 3:49 PM
  • I am at the same stage, cannot add FE server to pool, with error 0xC3EC794D

keep updating if you find something, i will do same

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 5:01 PM
  • UDATE

check this article

The information listed below has been tested using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise Edition R2 supports the use of non default TCP\IP port configurations for network access to its pool configuration databases that are located on the backend SQL server instance

http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2009/04/16/430.aspx

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:05 PM
  • UDATE

check this article

The information listed below has been tested using Microsoft SQL Server 2005 and Microsoft SQL Server 2008.

Office Communications Server 2007 Enterprise Edition R2 supports the use of non default TCP\IP port configurations for network access to its pool configuration databases that are located on the backend SQL server instance

http://communicationsserverteam.com/archive/2009/04/16/430.aspx

went throguh the steps and verified sql connectivity no problems with dynamic port connection, and still getting same error when try to add server to enterprise pool

Tuesday, April 28, 2009 9:18 PM
  • Hi thanks for the updates!!!  hopefully we'll get to the issue sorted soon.

I've some more details to add, 

When the POOL is created and configured on the MSSQL server, (2007 SP2) I get a "success" for all steps.

I opened the MSSQL Server Management Studio on on the MSSQL Server, I opened the table RTC->Pool and I see
    both fields are empty. 
    (I can also connect to the the Database using the MSSQL Server Management Studio installed on the OCS Server)

I suspect that these tables should be populated with the data entered when creating/configuring the Pool ?

Thanks
    N
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 10:44 AM
  • Yes you are right, tables will be populated once you add servers to pool and enable users

Last night, I spend couple of hours with MS support, and their tech said " I dont know man"

Then i was looking around for some setting that can make sense, and found that network discovery was turned off in network and sharing center , as soon as i turn that on, i can see the pool from ocs FE server when I run setup wizard ,

today i will add the FE servers to Pool and see what happen next
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 12:54 PM
  • v
    Hi

I also finally had success, 

to summerise:

Since the tables in the databse were empty, even though the create/configure pool actions reported all success.
    I ended up re-installing SQL server.

I also enabled "named pipes", the default installation has it disabled, perhaps this is not actually necessary, either way I won't be trying to
    repeat the issue anyways.

Then as you did I  created and configured the pool from the OCS server, instead of running this on the MSSQL server.

The end result :was that the issue encountered didn;t repeat, so I'm continuing on now with the install

Many thanks for you help!!!

regards
    N

Thursday, April 30, 2009 1:51 PM
  • just so you know, we completed the install , few small hickups

I have to create RTC accounts in AD before I run pool configuration

now everything installed , I am getting error 0xC3FC200D when running validation for OCS pool

I can enable users in OCS for presence and chat, but cannot get them to connect to ocs via communicator
    Thursday, April 30, 2009 8:11 PM
  • got it working, for some reason only NTLM is working as authentication method with TLS

Monday, May 4, 2009 7:32 PM
  • Hi Guys,

For the error "There are no pools available for this operation. Please make sure you have sufficient privileges. If a pool was recently created, please wait for active directory replication to finish and try again. (error code: 0xC3EC794D)" make sure that you have enabled the "Named Pipes" & "TCP/IP" protocols for SQL Server.

Also it's a good idea to have a separate SQL Instance for OCS.

Also make sure that the accounts "RTCService" & "RTCComponentService" has adequate rights on the OCS Instance.

For the Enterprise installation it's better if you have the below things in place before you go for the installation.

Shared Drives Creation:

Meeting_Content
    Meeting_Metadata
    Address_Book

Remove the Everyone Group from the Permission List. Add Domain Admin Account and assign Full Control Permission.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Service Accounts to be created in Active Directory:

SPInstaller - For SQL 2008 Installation
    RTCService - OCS Service Account
    RTCComponentService - OCS Service Account
    RTCGuestAccessUser - OCS Service Account

Group Creation:

RTCSetupDelegate
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Other Requirements:

Certificate Server on the Domain Controller
    IIS to be installed on OCS Server
    Microsoft Backward Compatibility Pack for SQL 2005 should be installed on OCS Server. (Enables you to create Pools while running the Setup from OCS Server)

Also Install the Database first before running the OCS Setup.

For the Client sign in issues, make sure you have the correct DNS entries in place.

Add a "A" record in the DNS which resolves to the pool name you created for your OCS server. Ex. If the poolname is "OCS2007" then add a "A" record with this name and give the IP as the IP of your OCS server.

If you want the clients to Sign in automatically make sure to create a SRV record as mentioned below:

1.         On the DNS server, click Start , click Control Panel , click Administrative Tools , and then click DNS .

2.        In the console tree for your SIP domain, expand Forward Lookup Zones , and then right-click the SIP domain in which your Office Communications Server will be installed.

3.        Click Other New Records .

4.        In Select a resource record type , click Service Location (SRV) , and then click Create Record .

5.        Click Service , and then type _sipinternaltls .

6.        Click Protocol , and then type _tcp .

7.         Click Port Number , and then type 5061 .

8.        Click Host offering this service , and then type the FQDN of the pool.

9.        Click OK .

10.     Click Done .

I hope this helps.
    Wednesday, June 3, 2009 5:34 PM