Can we as individuals challenge governments into securing our data while connected to Internet RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

First I would like to apologize as I'm not sure if this is the right category to ask this type of question. 

This question has been going in my mind for long time and I was wondering if anyone could simply answer it ? 

Is it easy to challenge governments, organizations ..etc into securing our communications with people either for Messaging, Emailing, VoIP communication or anything else? 

Even though with my little knowledge of networking and security and knowing that no one is connected to my PC I still worry that if I send something out it could be traceable. 

I care much about Privacy and would never like anyone to read what I'm sending out to friends, family or even things that I would consider as classified. 

So I thought of asking here few questions to all those who are expertise in Security and know it better than I do. 

- Which is the best and most secure Operating system that is recommended to use ? 

- Is there anyway to use an encryption method for browsing, sending e-mails, chatting with people? 

- If I created my own mail server, Chat server and assigned a special (Self Signed Certificate) with them would the encrypted data be easy to decrypt  ? 

- Is using Open source firewall e.g. (IPcop, IP Tables, Pfsense, Zyntals..etc) is better than using commercial ones in terms of secured environment ? and since the source code is open would that add any disadvantage ? 

- Would using network intrusion prevention and detection system (IDS/IPS) such as Snort be useful in terms of avoiding attacks, exploiting, malware, viruses. ? 

All these questions are required an answer if the attacker is the government it self! 

Thanks for your help and participation.

Mohammed JH

Thursday, April 4, 2013 2:32 PM

Answers

All replies

• I'd ask them over here.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/security?tm=1365123659120

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

• Marked as answer by moh10ly Friday, April 5, 2013 6:58 AM
    Friday, April 5, 2013 1:01 AM
  • Thanks Dave, I think this question fits more into a community site that's not Microsoft. since it involves Operating system and Security. 

Mohammed JH

Friday, April 5, 2013 6:59 AM