none
"Incorrect password" RRS feed

• Question

• When my Vista crashed I was forced to reinstall it and in the process upgraded to Windows 7.  I reinstalled Money Plus Deluxe using my original disc and followed all of the instructions for upgrade, activation, etc.  When I try to access the data files that I get an "incorrect password" message.  I am 99+% sure that I am using the correct password (I have never used more than 2 for Money).  I took the computer back to the people who did the reinstallation and they were unable, after about an hour of trying to find the problem.  Please help.  I have years of information I need access to.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 4:45 PM

All replies

• Download Money Plus Deluxe Sunset now. We don't know how long that will be an available option.

I would then uninstall Money Plus Deluxe,  and install Money Plus Deluxe Sunset.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 5:22 PM
  • I just did that and there is no change.  If I try the Restore or Repair options on the file menu I get either the "Password Invalid" or "Path name is invalid" error message.  The current path name is C:|users\Jeff\Documents\QDATA.mny.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:35 PM
  • I just did that and there is no change.  If I try the Restore or Repair options on the file menu I get either the "Password Invalid" or "Path name is invalid" error message.  The current path name is C:|users\Jeff\Documents\QDATA.mny.

It would be nice if the problem is problem is a path problem, but I don't think that is likely. I am worried that you got that password error when you tried the repair. The error messages do say "password" and do not say Live ID, right?

Try this: Close Money. Copy your newest *.mbf file to your Documents folder. In Windows Explorer (not IE), right click the *.mbf file, and choose Open. Do not choose to restore to the default location/filename. Instead Browse to your Documents folder, and choose a new filename such as Jeff8. Money will turn that into Jeff8.mny.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 6:53 PM
  • When I do that it says "File cannot be stored here.  Pick a different location."
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 8:32 PM
  • When I do that it says "File cannot be stored here.  Pick a different location."

When you attempted to copy your newest *.mbf file to your Documents folder, you got that error?
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:03 PM
  • For some reason the previous entries here have disappeared.  The file I tried to copy was the most recent one that had the data I need - the last one that was saved before the system crash.
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 9:44 PM
  • I used the newest file that had the had the data - the last one before the crash.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:09 AM
  • I think we are not communticating well. What was sequence of steps you did that ended with your getting that "File cannot be stored here.  Pick a different location." message. When you describe the sequence, if you choose to respond to this question, include your pressing of the Browse button. If you choose to respond to this question, it is going to take more than one line.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 4:30 AM
  • I thought I did what you suggested but I just tried it again with the same result:

The Document Library contains the most recent backup file with the data I need.  The last one made before the crash.  It is QDATA backup_2011_01_17_164043

I opened Windows Explorer and right clicked on the file and clicked Open.  Money opens with a Name Restored File box with C:\Users\Jeff\Documents\QDATA.mny highlighted.  I clicked Browse.

A Restore box opened with a lot of files listed.  In the File name box at the bottom I entered JeffMoney and clicked OK.  The Save as type box shows Microsoft Money (*mny)

The error message "You can't save here.  Please choose another location" comes up.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 5:07 AM
  • Thanks. If that error message comes up again, check that  the actual message is "You can't save here.  Please choose another location" . I don't find that message in the places that I looked.

If you have not rebooted the computer since the problem started, do it now.

Open Money by right-clicking the launch icon, and choosing RunAsAdministrator. This is in case there is some odd permissions problem. Assuming things don't suddenly start working, click File->RestoreBackup ...  and attempt to do the backup. Again, during the process, use Browse.

The next actions would depend the results of whether things got better or not.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:55 AM
  • Things changed slightly.  Now after I enter the new name I am returned to the Name the Restored File box with the new name shown.  When I click Restore I am sent to the Enter Password box but my password is not recognized.  Essentially back to where I started.
    Wednesday, February 2, 2011 6:06 PM
  • Any chance that you are mis-remembering your password? I know you did not want to hear that.

You might try restoring your second-newest *.mbf file

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:22 PM
  • I have only ever used 2 passwords for Money but I have tried any others I might possibly have used.  How does Money know that the password is wrong?  If I install Quicken do you think I could recover the Money file? Is there someone there who could take over my computer and see if you can straighten this out?

Friday 2/4

Please tell me that you are still working on this.  If not do you have any suggestions other than hand entering the information into another program?

Wednesday, February 2, 2011 7:46 PM
  • I have only ever used 2 passwords for Money but I have tried any others I might possibly have used.  How does Money know that the password is wrong?  If I install Quicken do you think I could recover the Money file? Is there someone there who could take over my computer and see if you can straighten this out?

Friday 2/4

Please tell me that you are still working on this.  If not do you have any suggestions other than hand entering the information into another program?

Try this: Disconnect from the Internet. Change the date on your computer to a date in January, such as 2011 Jan 15. Start Money, and log in offline. Remove your LiveID.
    Thas is the best hope.

Friday, February 4, 2011 1:42 PM
  • No change.  You are telling me there is nothing else I can do?
    Friday, February 4, 2011 4:23 PM
  • No change.  You are telling me there is nothing else I can do?

Pretty much. :-(

I think you have yet to install Money Plus Sunset on a diffrent computer, and see if that installation somehow helps. Long shot, but worth a try. I would still go offline with that computer and set back the date to cover the bases.

I would also try "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money Plus\MNYCoreFiles\salv.exe" (same as standard file repair) which will ask for your credentials. I expect that to fail, but if it doesn't fail that would solve the problem, or at least lead to a solution. salv.exe only works on *.mny files, and not *.mbf files.

Friday, February 4, 2011 4:33 PM
  • Still wants password.  Is there nowhere else I can get help on this?
    Friday, February 4, 2011 5:06 PM
  • I have just installed Quicken and when I try to have it transfer my Money files I get the same "Invalid Password" routine.  Do you think it worth trying one of the Password Buster programs? 
    Monday, February 7, 2011 7:49 PM
  • I have just installed Quicken and when I try to have it transfer my Money files I get the same "Invalid Password" routine.  Do you think it worth trying one of the Password Buster programs? 

Do you find one that claims to be able to apply to Microsoft Money Plus? There used to be "password recovery" programs, but I don't remember anybody saying that they had success with a Live ID.  If you try such a thing, I suggest that you change all of the passwords for your financial institutions first. Even then, I would be concerned.

Monday, February 7, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Hi. I'm wondering if you had any success with the password buster idea. I am in the same predicament.

Thanks for any advice!

Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:43 PM
  • Hi. I am in a similar predicament. However, I still have my old computer which is able to run Money offline without a password. How do I remove my LiveID? I remember a notice that I was supposed to do this, quite a while ago, but since I never used Money online I figured it wasn't important.......
    Saturday, January 19, 2013 10:45 PM
  • Hi. I am in a similar predicament. However, I still have my old computer which is able to run Money offline without a password. How do I remove my LiveID? I remember a notice that I was supposed to do this, quite a while ago, but since I never used Money online I figured it wasn't important.......

I think you have installed Money Plus Deluxe Sunset on the new computer. You copied your *.mny file to the new computer, and Money asks for the credentials -- which you have forgotten. You can still open your Money file on the old computer, because Money has cached the credentials. Right?????

If so, in the old computer, do a loose QIF export of *all* accounts, one at a time. Use meaningful file names. Then copy the meaningfully-named QIF files to the new computer and import those QIF files ALL AT ONCE as recovered accounts. If not, please explain your situation.

Monday, January 21, 2013 12:25 AM