Internet Backup and Sharing Add-In for Windows Home Server RRS feed

• General discussion

• I’m pleased to announce the availability of the first automatic internet backup and sharing Windows Home Server Add-in. This Add-in allows you to automatically synchronize and protect all the data in your shared folders to the internet. The back-end service provides 25 GB of free storage space (provided by MediaMax) and allows you to also access and share all your files from the web. 

This beta includes the following features:

• Fully integrated to the Windows Home Server console
    • Select only the shares you want to upload
    • File-system level monitor for changes/additions to your Windows Home Server shares and instant uploading to secure storage servers
    • Access your protected files from anywhere by logging into your account at http://www.keepvault.com/login.htm
    • Protect files immediately or once every evening
    • Ability to limit the amount of bandwidth used for the uploads
    We would appreciate any feedback you have by posting here, sending us an email at support_whs@keepvault.com, or visiting our forums at:

http://www.proxure.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=16

Also, we are adding a complete restore utility and will post here when it is available.

Add-in download: http://www.keepvault.com/download_whs.htm
    Version: 2.01, Posted 5/20/2007

Friday, May 18, 2007 11:03 PM

All replies

• I installed it, created and verified an account. When I see my folders, I cannot see an obvious way to add them to a backup (tried double click, rt click, and link labels at bottom, no tab strip etc..nothing seems to work). When I exit the WHS console and start back up, I am asked to create an account again. I tried this twice (and created 2 accounts) with reboots with no luck.

If there are any logs I can send to help in debugging, let me know.

-Ed

Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:04 AM
  • Click on the Share Name in the list box then click the +Backup Folder button on the tool bar located above the list of Shares.  This is simlar to way the built-in Microsoft "Computers & Backup" Add-in works.

Hope that helps.

p..s Sounds like you found a bug if no shares are selected.  This is working great for me.  The key was to actually select a Share to backup before closing the Console.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 12:36 AM
  •  

I’ve downloaded the add-in and I’ve backed up some file to the web site.

But since then I have rebooted the whs server and now every time I  load the console to look at “Internet Backup” I get a “Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {7E3AD2A3-DB27-437C-81AB-D68627166BAB} failed due to the following error: 800070005”. The error appears in the add-in tool bar area.

I tried to access your support forum to log this but that would not let me in even after I registered.

Saturday, May 19, 2007 8:46 PM
  • Thanks for brining this to our attention - it seems that on some systems (usually clean systems), our service starts too soon in the boot process. We have posted an update (link above), which will fix the issue. You can simply reinstall - you won't loose any of your backup settings.

As for the forum issue, it looks like we tried to verify your email address but couln't. Please check your e-mail address and let me know if you didn't get a verification email.

Please let me know, thank you!

Sunday, May 20, 2007 4:05 PM
  • Hi,

The install does not show up the add-in install tab, so I  manually ran the install from windows explorer and it did install and the add has appeared in the console .

After rebooting the machine I can launch the console without error again, but it is taking a long time to load, I will have to try and find out why.

I think that the problem with the forum was I was trying to soon after registering, because when I tried to get in this morning I logged in straight away.

Sunday, May 20, 2007 7:25 PM
  • I just downloaded and installed this add-in, and so far, it's working great!  I've been looking for an online backup solution, and I couldn't get Carbonite to work properly.  So far, i'm liking this better anyway.

I'm really curious how much something like this will end up costing once it's released.

Keep up the good work!
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 10:31 PM
  • I tried this add in with WHS CTP, I had shared folders with only <10 Gb of data sored in them, and it only took 4 weeks to reach the 25 GB limit in the free trial. 25 Gb to back up 10 Gb, seems like one would end up buying a lot of storage. I have not installed the add in on RC1.
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 4:30 AM
  • I think this is great but clearly the add-in is a commercial offering since it only goes to your site.

I am going to ask one of my Developers to do an add-in to FTP anything to anywhere based on userid credentials...it sounds spookily like thats what this does what a shame you didn't open it up to allow you to backup to any location on the web?

Of course there may be another add-in out there which does this but i am not aware of it..

Thursday, June 21, 2007 8:39 AM
  • Sirius,

Ironically, that is exactly what I was going to say...LOL. But.....There is nothing wrong with developing an Add-in that brings in some cash for the efforts. If I had the knowledge...I'd do the same.  Besides this add-in here is great for those without a remote server of their own!!

I would like to see an add-in that allows FTP to a remote server...I.E. my remote server. My web server has 500 gig of storage and I use a fraction for my web and games.

Suggestion: I use a program called Handy Backup. It alone can backup to ftp, net work drive, anywhere. It's Server 2003 compliant and can run as a service! So I was going to install it on WHS and run it. Would be nice if someone could set up an FTP Add-in to utilize Handy Backup like Marcel did with his uTorrent Add-in. Matter of fact, I'm going to post the suggestion in a new thread....
    Thursday, June 21, 2007 11:01 AM
  • Oh I agree people should make money my friend..and i noted your post on Handy backup too ..

My developers are all claiming they are too busy....I will need to fix that!

Friday, June 22, 2007 4:14 PM