none
Question about backup with laptop and desktop with same user RRS feed

• Question

• I plan to buy WHS soon, but have played around some with a demo version that is now expired. My question is if I have a desktop that uses the user name and computer name of DAD, and I have a laptop that will use the same user name and computer name, will there be a problem with the WHS backing up both of them? Will there be any confusion between the two on the server?

Thanks
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:33 PM

Answers

• The user name is immaterial to the backup engine. The computer name is used in the identification of a computer but it's not the only factor, so if you have two computers with identical names, they will show up separately in the WHS console. That said, you can't have two computers on the same network with the same computer name. So one of the two will have to change.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:33 PM

All replies

• The user name is immaterial to the backup engine. The computer name is used in the identification of a computer but it's not the only factor, so if you have two computers with identical names, they will show up separately in the WHS console. That said, you can't have two computers on the same network with the same computer name. So one of the two will have to change.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:33 PM
  • To complete, what Ken already said - the user name is solely used to control access to the shared folders on the server and remote access to the server via Internet.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 5:06 AM
  • Hello,

Giving same name to 2 different computers on the same network makes a problem to the WHS PC restore system :

My small experience:

I have one networked PC with tri-boot : XP, Vista & Vista 64

At the beginning the PC name was the same ("PC1") in the 3 OS

So, on my WHS , there was 3 "PC1" impossible to easily differentiate (..only by partition size)

More : when I booted with PC WHS restore CD, the choice between the 3 OS was false :
    The choice list forgotten each time the third partition and duplicate the second

Now, I gave 3 different names for the partitions and no more possible mistake

my 0.5 cents..

Jean-Max
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 7:20 AM
  • Understood....thanks for the clarification.

Now that I have my old crappy laptop connected to the network, I will go in and change it's name to something other than what I have my desktop named.

Rick
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 8:42 PM