Office Pro 2007 - pirate copy? Removal assistance required! RRS feed

• Question

• Having recently been sold a copy of Office 2007, advertised as "100% Genuine", it was loaded and activated with no problems.  However, when attempting to update any patches and use the Office On-line site, the software failed validation.

I have run the diagnostic tool, with the following result:

Validation status:  103 blocked VLK

OGA Version:  Registered, 1.6.21.0

Signed by: Microsoft

Diagnostic:  B4D0AA8B-531-645_025D1FF3-171-1

I have completed a Piracy Report to Microsoft, and have received a refund from the seller (through Paypal, within 2 hours of the claim!).

My question is:

How do I safely remove the software from my PC, and return to my previous genuine versions (Word 2000, Excel 2003 and Outlook 2003)?  My main concerns are losing any data/documents etc in between removal of Office 2007, and installation of the individual utilities.  If I follow the normal process through Control Panel > Add & Remove Programs, will I be safe?

I would also be extremely interested to know whether the copy of Office 2007 is stolen, copied or the reason for failed validation.

Thank you

Have just Googled the product code (8WCK9-KTG64-BC7D8) - this code has been pirated worldwide, and sites are openly releasing it to illegal users. The web-site selling the illegal product was Software Tech UK (http://softwaretechstore.com/). I hope this will save others being duped.

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:26 AM

Answers

• Hello Freddie-d

Thank you for visiting the Office Genuine Advantage forum. 

Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide the following information, however if the issue persists I would recommend you contact Microsoft Office support at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/assistsupport and choosing your product to create a support incident.

Please look @ the following Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us. Here you will find detailed instructions for removing release versions of Office Suite 2007 or program.

Important:  This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista” http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

As far as tracking the version you purchased I don't have that capability. Thank you for submitting a piracy report and also am very glad to hear you received your monies back. Also I would like to provide you with a website which may help you in the future:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ , http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ . Please research prior making any decision to purchase Office again. This may prevent future problems. Again thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Thank you for your response, which was very helpful.

I managed to remove the software through the normal means of Control Panel, and have re-installed my original versions.  I had to download MSN Installer/Outlook Connector to enable collection of Hotmail messages - I don't remember having to do that before!

I did look at the knowledge base articles you mentioned, and they were helpful.

Everything is now working well, and I hope no-one else is taken in as I was.  I really do feel stupid, and am glad this forum is anonimous!!

Thanks again

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:07 AM
  • Freddie,

We are here to help :-).  Did you file a piracy report? Please let me know where you purchased the copy of Office, email and website should you have the information. Thank you again and glad I was able to resolve your problem.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:52 PM

All replies

• Hello Freddie-d

Thank you for visiting the Office Genuine Advantage forum. 

Your issue appears to be outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide the following information, however if the issue persists I would recommend you contact Microsoft Office support at http://support.microsoft.com/gp/assistsupport and choosing your product to create a support incident.

Please look @ the following Knowledge Base (KB) article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928218/en-us. Here you will find detailed instructions for removing release versions of Office Suite 2007 or program.

Important:  This article contains information about how to modify the registry. Make sure that you back up the registry before you modify it. Make sure that you know how to restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up, restore, and modify the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows XP and Windows Vista” http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

As far as tracking the version you purchased I don't have that capability. Thank you for submitting a piracy report and also am very glad to hear you received your monies back. Also I would like to provide you with a website which may help you in the future:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/ , http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ . Please research prior making any decision to purchase Office again. This may prevent future problems. Again thank you.

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, November 14, 2007 10:59 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Thank you for your response, which was very helpful.

I managed to remove the software through the normal means of Control Panel, and have re-installed my original versions.  I had to download MSN Installer/Outlook Connector to enable collection of Hotmail messages - I don't remember having to do that before!

I did look at the knowledge base articles you mentioned, and they were helpful.

Everything is now working well, and I hope no-one else is taken in as I was.  I really do feel stupid, and am glad this forum is anonimous!!

Thanks again

Thursday, November 15, 2007 10:07 AM
  • Freddie,

We are here to help :-).  Did you file a piracy report? Please let me know where you purchased the copy of Office, email and website should you have the information. Thank you again and glad I was able to resolve your problem.

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 15, 2007 6:52 PM
  • Hi Stephen

Piracy report was filed (I think it was on 12 Nov), and the web-site details are on my original post.  Emails I have received are from:

SoftwareTechStore.com [sales@softwaretechstore.com] and

SoftwareTechStore.com [admin@softwaretechstore.com]

I appreciate now that I shouldn't have purchased from them, and that ignorance cannot be excused.  In the last week, since downloading the software from them, I have become MUCH more knowledgeable about Microsoft, its policies and how to spot genuine software!  The last three days have ben spent re-loading my old software, and trawling the Microsoft sites and knowledge bases!

Thanks again for your help, and I hope no-one else gets caught by this scam.

Freddie

ps  Please see my edited note on the original post regarding the product key.  I was amazed.

Thursday, November 15, 2007 7:43 PM
  • Freddie,

Thank you very much for keeping me aprised of your situation. This situation does happen and valued customers such as yourself are taken advantage of. The Windows Genuine Advantage program trys to protect customers so situations which you experienced can be reduced. Take care and again thank you. If you need further WGA/OGA assistance please drop by and we will do our best to provide you with help :-).

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, November 16, 2007 4:59 PM
  • Freddie-d

I too paid for the office 2007 software which turns out to be pirated but Paypal say they will not refund me and softwaretechstore seems to have disappeared. Can you please let me know exactly how you managed to get your money back? Thanks

Peterjames

Friday, December 7, 2007 11:45 AM
  • Hi

First I emailed the site, and advised the software had failed Microsoft validation.  I asked them for their suggestions on why it may have happened, and that I would appreciate a prompt response to avoid a Piracy Report being filed with Microsoft.  James's non-committal response was "The serial key is a genuine Microsoft enterprise edition CD Key so sometimes activation doesn’t work. The Enterprise edition can usually be purchased for £89.95 online, if you are prepared to pay £283 for the full retail version then that will allow you to get all the enhanced features through Microsoft".

Finding this very unhelpful, and following some investigation on the MS Knowledgebase, I realised I had been conned. So I filed a Piracy Report, and went to Paypal to see how they could help.  I filed a claim under Item Not as Described, and they responded with "Your Significantly Not as Described dispute for the payment you sent to Wasim Ahmed on X Nov 2007 (Transaction **************) is now open. By opening a dispute, you are communicating with the seller, not PayPal, about this problem transaction. We will email you when your seller posts a response in the Resolution Centre".

Within 2 hours (!) my payment had been refunded, with a message from Paypal: -  "Wasim Ahmed (order@automaticincomepackage.com) has issued you a full or partial refund for your payment".  The whole process only covered five days, from software purchase through to refund.

I think the reason you have been unsuccessful with Paypal is due to the red clause above.  As the site appears to be no longer trading, Paypal has nowhere to recoup the funds they may refund to you.

I too have tried the software site today, and the link just takes me to GoDaddy.com, who are the domain name issuers.  I don't know whether you could get any recourse through them?

Sorry I can't be more help .  Good luck with your future attempts.

Freddie-d

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:54 PM
  • Hello Peter,

I am sorry to hear about your experience as well. Please reference my earlier freddie-d and submit a piracy report. Also can you please provide me with any and all information regarding the purchase you made? Also please visit http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/default.aspx?displaylang=en and http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/ for more information. 

Thank you very much and please keep me posted.

STephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:20 AM
  • Feddie-D,

Thank you for providing this detailed information. I have provided your information up for their review.  Take care and if you have any additional info please post back. 

Again thank you,

Stephen Holm, MS

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 4:35 AM
  • Hi All,

Help stop this person & bring him, & Paypal, to account! - Make your claim!

If you found your way here because you too were conned by:

Name: Wasim Ahmed - Email: sales@softwaretechstore.com (Which no longer accepts email)

Please Report him to Microsoft & more importantly Paypal, if that was your method of payment.

If you were unlucky enough to find out, you had been conned, outside Paypal's 45 day cut-off period, you will never get your money back from them, but you may cause further investigation into the the person/account.

Although we now know this person to be fraudulent, Paypal will only investigate if significant numbers of people make a claim on them.

I only hold Paypal to account because they are currently refusing to even attempt correlation of my claim with any previous claims, i.e. the one listed above (And I am sure there will be many more, although maybe not reported here) unless they get significant pressure from other customers (Not their words, but certainly the inference - If we don't have to do the work, we won't)

It is exactly this type of lack of concern for customer's experience that encourages large companies to turn a blind eye to all the fraud.

We all know full well that this guy has just created a new name & company to continue his fraudulent dealingsm probably using Paypal as his preferred virtual warehouse.

If Paypal really wanted to put the effort into finding him & retrieving the monies, they could.

Come on guys - put your people power together & report this guy to every source you can.

I know, sound like I am bitter & twisted right?  Well, your damn right - I'm pi$$ed off aswell!

Thursday, January 3, 2008 2:01 PM