Backup failure RRS feed

• Question

• One of my laptops refuses to back up.  When I check the log, apparently there is a hard disk read error on the laptop, and the network backup croaks on it.

I have run Chkdsk /f /r and it has found no errors.  I'm wondering how WHS Backup can find errors that ChkDsk cannot see.

The failing laptop is a Panasonic CF-48 toughbook

My two HP laptops back up find, as well as my Toshiba 3500 tablet, and one of my desktops (the others haven't been tried yet.)

Any thoughts?

I'd love to replace the disk on the Toughbook and I have a 160g drive laying around for it, but don't at present have an image of the machine to load onto it, and don't want to take the time to do a full reload from base disks.  I was hooping to use the WHS backyp and restore to build the new larger hard disk.

Thanks in advance....
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 7:49 PM

All replies

• You haven't mentioned what the error you're seeing is, exactly. That might help us point you in the right direction.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 8:00 PM
  • I'm at work, and the laptop in question is at home - but it strikes me it was a sector read failure - which is why I was so surprised that chkdsk /f /r didn't see it.

I'll look when I get home - I don't have the remote access fully functioning yet....
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 9:29 PM