OneCare Circle Backup settings help required RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have a OneCare Circle with two computers, each at two physically separate locations and each has its own external usb hard drive to which it backs up.

When the second computer was added to the circle the first computer status went from Good to Fair with the following message:

Configure backup for the new PC
    A new PC has been added to your OneCare circle.  To add the PC to your centralized backup, click 'Configure backup'.

Go to OneCare on this PC and complete the Actions to Take

Can anyone help me with getting the settings right so that they can operate with their own separate back up?

Thanks

KT-May
    Wednesday, January 7, 2009 11:24 PM

Answers

• Hello KT-May, open One Care>Change settings>Backup>Configure Backup. Under "Your backup plan" is "Central Backup Device" ticked? If so select "Change location" then configure your external drive as a local drive.
    Jim
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:36 AM

All replies

• Hello KT-May, open One Care>Change settings>Backup>Configure Backup. Under "Your backup plan" is "Central Backup Device" ticked? If so select "Change location" then configure your external drive as a local drive.
    Jim
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 12:36 AM
  • I will add to Jim's response that his instructions are for the PC that you are seeing the message on. It has been configured to use Centralized backup. Once you change this so that the local PC is performing a local backup, you will also need to configure backup on the remote PC in the same way.

Go back to the backup tab, configure backup and click Change Settings in the lower left.

Make sure that the first screen for Centralized Backup has "No Centralized backup" selected

Select your PC and click.

Click Turn on backup

Select the change location link and select the drive you want to use for backup

Modify the schedule as desired for "When"

Select the file types as desired for "What"

Click next and save the revised plan with the new selection.

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare Forum Moderator
    Thursday, January 8, 2009 2:01 PM