HP EX475 drives cannot be removed due to insufficient space RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,
    From my HP Pavilion dv7 laptop, I'm trying to deal with two 2Tb western digital drives in external USB units on my HP Ex475, which runs Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3. The Home Server is described as "HP MediaSmart Server", AMD Sempron Processor 3400+, 1.97 GB of RAM".  The software version is 1.3.8.25155.  Bios version is R02, Friday, July 13, 2007.  

Both drives came up as "Not Added" after my UPS failed in a recent power outage.  After getting that server up and running again (all but these two drives), I have removed everything from those two drives and have tried to "remove" them (then would eventually re-add them) since trying to "add" them now isn't an option.  The top of the message box says, "Cannot remove the hard drive".  Under that is an "X" with text next to it that says, "There is not enough remaining space on your home server to safely remove this hard drive".  While I thought I already had plenty of free space on my server harddrives, I still turned off fold duplication on everything, which should have free up a few Tb of space.  Again, it still says not enough space.
    In case this is a related issue, a "critical" status issue for this server says, "The Drive Extender Migrator Service is not running".  Again, I have failed in my efforts to figure out what the heck to do about that.  Apparently, I'm not as good of a Googler as I thought.
    In case you haven't figure this out yet, I am a total novice to all of this.  I have tried to research these two issues without any luck.  If some kind soul can help an aging babyboomer figure this out, it would be very much appreciated.
    Thank you.
    P.S.  If I might ask another question.  I see that there are new versions to the WHS software.  Can I install something new on this EX475?  And if so, what should I install ... or should I leave well-enough alone and stick with what came with the server?
    Wednesday, January 25, 2012 12:34 AM