SBS 2011 Essentials Backup to WD Elements 2TB RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having trouble with the SBS 2011 Essentials backup. Before I start my backup I can see and use the WD Elements 2TB usb drive when I select Computer from the Start menu. When I run the Customize Backup for the Server wizard, the drive appears but has No Disk Label as the drive name even though it is named. If I select the drive i get a warning that says You Have Selected a Drive on a Hard Disk That is Separated into One or More Drives... (I have no idea what this means. If you look at the drive using diskmgmt.msc the drive appears to have one NTFS partition). Selecting Yes to the warning is the only option that will allow me to proceed with the backup but the result is that it formats the drive. After the backup completes the drive is no longer visible by selecting Computer from the Start menu (no letter is assigned to the drive) although it is visible from Devices & Printers and diskmgmt.msc. The backup appears to work as I'm able to restore files from the backup but the drive is gone for other purposes. This isn't right is it?

Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:16 PM

Answers

• Suggest you try a different forum as this is for Windows Home Server 2011 which is managed differently - through the Dashboard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by JudgeAndJury Tuesday, March 12, 2013 6:51 PM
    Thursday, March 7, 2013 5:31 PM