Hardware that can be used....? RRS feed

• Question

•  

I purchased a 1 TB simpleshare (by SimpleTech (R) ) to act as my network back up device.  Now that I'm reading about the installed software and their version of the NASfinder software, I am wondering if I can load WHS on this thing?  I'm not sure if it is proprietary or what kind of memory or processor that it has just that it is 1,000Gb storage room.  Probably no RAID either, that's probably why they call it Simple Tech.

Anyway, I am all Vista SP1, Office Suites 2003 SP2 & 07 SP1 and XP Pro SP3 so I figured I should use WHS as the back up instead.  I have been unable to contact them so far and was re directed to a site by fABRyk or something.  Looks like they were bought out already.

If you know anything as I am in the process of setting up the home network to do a RE Develop. Bus and Prop Mgt using a DELL Pwr Edge SC480 with Server 2003.  Well I think I just answered my question

Sunday, August 24, 2008 8:36 AM

Answers

• The Simpleshare uses a proprietary processor from Broadcom, so no, you won't be able to install Windows Home Server on it.

I would consider an HP EX475 (which is designed for Windows Home Server), rather than the Dell unit you mention.
    Sunday, August 24, 2008 12:50 PM