Locked Out of Windows Home Server 2011 - Removed Password RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All

I made a bit of a boo boo. This relates to Windows Home Server 2011. Basically I needed my server to boot directly to desktop and not go to a login screen. I thought I know I will just remove the password (bad decision).

It now goes to the login screen and it won't let me login with no password. It says something about not being allowed.

So I am now stuck at the Login screen. I don't really want to have to re-install the OS again, so any help would be great.

Cheers

Monday, June 16, 2014 10:38 AM

Answers

• Is that on Remote Desktop or on the local console?

If it is locally with an monitor and a keyboard attached, it should work without password - remote access on the other side will be blocked.

Now it depends from your hardware (does it have the chance to attach a monitor) to login with blank password and set a new password again or from the answer to Phils question, if you have a recoverable server backup.

Last but not least (requires also local access and the ability to boot from either DVD or USB device) you could use one of the ways to reset a forgotten password.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hmm. Do you back up your server?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Monday, June 16, 2014 12:12 PM
  • Is that on Remote Desktop or on the local console?

If it is locally with an monitor and a keyboard attached, it should work without password - remote access on the other side will be blocked.

Now it depends from your hardware (does it have the chance to attach a monitor) to login with blank password and set a new password again or from the answer to Phils question, if you have a recoverable server backup.

Last but not least (requires also local access and the ability to boot from either DVD or USB device) you could use one of the ways to reset a forgotten password.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Thursday, June 19, 2014 12:46 AM
    • Marked as answer by Justin Gu Tuesday, June 24, 2014 3:09 PM
    Wednesday, June 18, 2014 8:44 AM
  • Ah, I can't believe I didn't think to just hook it up. oops.

Thank you Olaf & Phil

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 6:39 PM