Limited User(s) RRS feed

• Question

• I have an aging machine that I just installed WHS onto. I'm going to connect it to a TV and some surround sound, but I haven't found a way to create a suitable user account. I want my roommates to be able to watch DVDs and media, play some light-weight games (and write save games in specified directories), use web browsers, etc. without them being able to make system-wide changes, mess with my backup files, the server's system files, have any access to my pc that WHS will be managing, etc. While they are logged in, I also want the server to be hosting files across the web, take care of my pc's backups, etc. I want to be able to run a limited account without WHS losing in of its functionality. I'm not going to be hosting much or be backing up in the middle of the day, so I'm not worried about a lack of power with too much going on at once.

I set up a "User" account and placed it in the Users group, but I can't log in locally with it. I tried to put it in the Power Users group and could log in, but I found that I would be able to change the Administrator password. Is there some way I can configure an account that can log in locally but has significantly limited access?

Also, I did a quick search but couldn't find it. Is there an expected date for when WHS OEM will be available for purchase? Are there any speculations on price?

Thanks

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:03 PM

Answers

• WHS isn't designed to be used as a desktop machine. It is designed to be a headless box accessed remotely. Management of accounts should be done via the console, not directly on the machine. If you set up accounts for the friends you can select which shared folders they can access across the network.

There's lots of speculation about dates and prices, but it's just that - speculation. Once there are firm details this place will be in meltdown with comments  It's looking to be later this month / next month but those that DO know can't say yet.

Gordon

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:10 PM

All replies

• WHS isn't designed to be used as a desktop machine. It is designed to be a headless box accessed remotely. Management of accounts should be done via the console, not directly on the machine. If you set up accounts for the friends you can select which shared folders they can access across the network.

There's lots of speculation about dates and prices, but it's just that - speculation. Once there are firm details this place will be in meltdown with comments  It's looking to be later this month / next month but those that DO know can't say yet.

Gordon

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:10 PM
  • Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I was hoping there'd be some way around the users issue, but I guess WHS wouldn't be suitable for most of the programs I'd be putting on it anyway. I think I'll go back to XP, install Apache, and look around for some programs to automatically backup my computer.

Thanks!

Friday, August 10, 2007 2:22 PM