none
Taking 70-433 after 70-461 RRS feed

• Question

• I have given and cleared 70-461

However, considering that I don't get an official "certificate" unless I give 462 and 463, and also since these exams will need to be retaken in 3 years, is it advisable to give 70-433, since clearing it would mean than I have a complete certificate with a significantly longer validity?

Does it mess up the certification paths in my profile in any way if I take an older exam after a newer exam for the same product?

Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:17 AM

Answers

• Hi Akash,

You can take any exam in any order you like. There is not implication (positive or negative) to the order.

For most of the newer exams, you do not earn a certifcate until you pass several exams. Don't let this stop you from taking individual exams. Each exam tests a certain skill set and is valuable for your career. The individual exams do not expire. The 70-461 exam for example will be retired at some point (probably when the next version of SQL Server comes out) but once you have passed the exam it does not go away. The expert level certifications do expire. Once you get to that point you will need to take an exam to show that you are still current on whatever related technologies are important.

Mike

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by Akash Mehrotra Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:38 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:00 PM

All replies

• Hi Akash,

You can take any exam in any order you like. There is not implication (positive or negative) to the order.

For most of the newer exams, you do not earn a certifcate until you pass several exams. Don't let this stop you from taking individual exams. Each exam tests a certain skill set and is valuable for your career. The individual exams do not expire. The 70-461 exam for example will be retired at some point (probably when the next version of SQL Server comes out) but once you have passed the exam it does not go away. The expert level certifications do expire. Once you get to that point you will need to take an exam to show that you are still current on whatever related technologies are important.

Mike

Mike Corkery, MCT, MVP (Office Systems), MCSD (Windows Store Apps), MCITP, MCPD, MSF, etc. Please do not forget to click “Vote as Helpful” if any post helps you and "Mark as Answer”if it solves the issue.

• Marked as answer by Akash Mehrotra Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:38 PM
    Thursday, January 3, 2013 3:00 PM
  • Congratulations on passing exam 70-461.

Did you do some preparation or just took it "cold" based on your SQL Server 2012 T-SQL experience? Thanks.

Kalman Toth SQL 2008 GRAND SLAM
    Paperback: Pass SQL Exam 70-461 & Job Interview: Programming SQL Server 2012

• Edited by Kalman Toth Tuesday, January 22, 2013 1:05 AM
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 12:47 AM