Can't get my computer to connect to my Windows Home Server 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• I have Windows Home Server 2011 and my other 5 computers are Windows 7 Home Premium. When I try to connect them to my server I get an error saying, "Cannot connect the computer to the server because either another software installation is in progress, or, the computer has a restart pending. Either complete the installation process, or, restart the computer and try to connect it again." I have tried restarting all of my computers and my server and I still get the same error, I have even tried re installing Windows on my server 3 times and 2 times on all of my other computers. I did get it to install once but after it installed it would always say that the server was offline. Anyone that can help I would appreciate it. Thanks
    Friday, January 27, 2012 4:21 PM

All replies

• Did you do a search on the Windows Home Server 2011 forum as this question has been asked many times before and a soultion provided which generally works? It will require you to edit the registry on your client computer that has the problem and is generally caused by a Logitech webcam installation.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Friday, January 27, 2012 5:21 PM
  • Same problem here.  New rebuild of Windows XP system, no Logitech or any camera, and have no registry entry showing an installation in progress.  Have this on 2 laptops. 

Why is it that they can't just allow the installation to continue or have a forced installation.  Then these posts would not be out here for the last several years.

Saturday, February 4, 2012 3:25 PM
  • Hi,

Probably a pending boot issue?
    Try this:
    1. Open Regedit
    2. Find the key "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager"
    3. Rename the "PendingFileRenameOperations" value to "PendingFileRenameOperations2"

Regards,
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server

Sunday, February 19, 2012 11:15 PM