updating problem RRS feed

• Question

•  

I had my computer reformatted about 2 years ago . My hp computer came with XP already installed. I do have the sticker on the side of the computer, so I have the numbers that I need.

I have tried the update product key and what I get is  Error : OX8004005

what ever that means .... How can I fix this ? Someone help me Please

Sunday, June 18, 2006 11:02 PM

Answers

• lcheapo:

Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article. This may not apply to some version of OEM restore disks.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:25 PM

All replies

• lcheapo,

Follow these steps for assistance:

Step 1 is to download and run the utility at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012, then click the Windows tab, Copy to Clipboard, then paste the report into a response message in this thread.

Step 2 is to look on the computer or with the materials you received with the computer to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticty (COA).  If you have one, tell us about the COA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

Monday, June 19, 2006 1:16 AM
  • WGA Diagnostic Data (1.5.0530.2):
    --------------------
    Genuine Validation Status: Blocked VLK
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-Q92F7-HY89C-9FF26
    Windows Product Key Hash: POhcr+xOJqwEbVx+OChF461Qg5g=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-647-3188384-23860
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    Download Center code: Expired code.
    ID: 58b18c9c-d5f9-43c9-825f-2f3a6faacc9f
    Is Admin: Yes
    AutoDial: No
    Registry: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.5.532.2.
    Signature Type: Microsoft.
    Validation Diagnostic:

Scan: Complete
    Cryptography: Complete

Office Status: 102
    Office Diagnostics:

Proxy settings: http=localhost:8080
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Allowed
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

The Windows that I have is XP Home Edition 

On the side of Computer is a sticker that says HP  and a Product Key and the numbers . Which I will not list . It is a series of 25 numbers

Ok Hope someone can help me figure this out .

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:17 PM
  • lcheapo:

Occasionally we have had some customers that purchased valid copies of Windows or received them when purchasing an OEM system but failed validation. In most cases this has been determined to be the result of the actual Product Key used to install the current version of Windows XP to be blocked. This most often has occurred by the computer being repaired and a Blocked Product Key being used on the computer at that time.

Without actually posting your Product Key in this post compare the last 15 characters of your COA to the last 15 characters in the Diag output. If they are not the same you will have to change the product key. The easiest way to do this without having to re-install applications or lose data is to refer to the Repair Method in this KB Article. This may not apply to some version of OEM restore disks.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341/en-us

Warning: as with any such major procedure it is highly recommended you backup all critical/personal data on your computer that you would not want to lose and ensure you have the software to re-install your applications should something happen.

I hope this helps,

Greg

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 7:25 PM
  • lcheapo,

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 6), and that installation was done with a now-blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 1).  VLKs are blocked by Microsoft at the request of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP in an unauthorized installation.

According to the information you provided, your HP computer is licensed to run Windows XP Home Edition.

Unfortunately, there is no easy way to "revert" your current installation of XP Pro to XP Home.  The best advice is for you to offload/backup any user data that you don't want to lose (email, pix, docs, music, etc etc), then use the Recovery/Reinstallation procedure supplied by HP to put the original installation of XP Home back on the computer.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006 8:41 PM