Health Critical - Not Enough Free Space on Some Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I have recently received the following error as a critical health notification on my HP EX470:
    Not Enough Free Space on Some Hard Drives:
    The majority of free space for your Server Storage is available on only one hard drive. Folder Duplication requires sufficient free space on multiple hard drives to duplicate files.

To fix this issue, add another hard drive to your Server Storage or delete some files from your shared folder.

I have found a similar thread re: PP1, but the solution there doesn't seem to apply here.  I have the following set up:
    HP MediaSmart Server EX470 (upgraded processor and 2GB RAM)
    Disk0: 465.75 GB 20 GB ~ SYS (C:)[52% free], 445.75 GB DATA (D:) [579% free - not a typo]
    Disk1: 1397.25 GB DATA [99% free]
    Disk2: 698.63 GB DATA [50% free]
    Disk3: 1397.25 GB DATA [59% free]
    Disk4: 1397.26 GB SEAGATE FREEAGENT 1.5TB (E:) [used for WHS backup and connected via eSata][18% free]
    all report in as healthy.

I have the following add-ins installed:
    - PVConnect Media Server for HP MediaSmart [v4.4.4]
    - My Movies for Windows Home Server [v4.5.1.0]

Software Version (Settings, Hardware Status) 1.3.8.25155
    BIOS R02

LED status indicator appears to be broken (hard drive LEDs do not dim)

Windows Home Server with Power Pack 3
    Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0 (same version provided for all version information items)

Since originally observing this error, I have restored and reset the WHS, added one of the above 1.5TB internal drives, and all WHS (both from HP and MSFT) updates are applied. 

I don't see any critical health notifications in the syslog that would indicate that there is anything wrong with the hard drives or anything else.  I have also noticed frequently that the server seems to crash my Linksys WRT310N router. Rebooting the WHS and power-cycling the router brings the network back up... may not be related, but thought I'd throw that at you too.

I (and my wife) greatly appreciate your assistance.

Is this possibly a PP3 bug?

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:53 AM

Answers

• OK, so I think I figured it out (with your prompting, of course).  

Here's what apparently happened.
    I added a shared drive under D:\Shares via RDC rather than through the Console.  I then proceeded to fill up the DATA (D:) partition of the system drive, but since the share was not registering in the console, it was not being property managed by the storage balancing.  Thus, the (D:) DATA partition of the system drive [Disk0 above], was filled up and not available and resulted in the warning message.  

What I did to fix it:
    I moved all the files from the Media shared folder into the 'Music' shared folder, deleted the 'Media' shared folder via RDC and re-added the 'Media' Share folder from the Console.

I also noticed that the LED indicators all of a sudden miraculously started working (according to the dimming setting I set in the Console), and the Health indicator is now green.

I find it interesting that 1) the Console does not permit me to stack shared folders (I want a 'music' share and a 'movies' share within a 'media' share so that I can associate 'music' and 'movies' with their respective media libraries in Win7 and thus in Windows Media Center, but also permit iTunes to collect and manage my media - which requires it all to be located in one folder. and 2) that fixing the hard drive space issue also corrected the LED indicators... anyone want ot provide more detailed commentary, or should I report this as a bug?  Thanks a ton for your help!
    • Marked as answer by CountUSC Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:30 AM

All replies

• It's probably not a power pack 3 bug. If it were, other HP Mediasmart Server users would have the same issue, and they don't (or at least I don't, and I have a 475).

When you say you "restored and reset" your server, could you be a little more specific? Did you use the OEM disk to do a server recovery? A factory reset?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:45 PM
  • I've spent a ton of time on this.  Using the original OEM disks from HP, I attempted a server recovery.  That didn't seem to fix the problem whereby the server would crash the network.  So, I then installed a 32bit version of Win7 (care of MSDN subscription) to perform a factory reset.  it didn't have any problems (health indicator was green (other than to indicate computers not being backed up and that the back up service had not started due to me unplugging the eSata drive)).  Around about the time that PP3 was installed is when I began receiving the above referenced health notice. So, to answer your question, I have performed both recently.   
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:16 AM
  • I've spent a ton of time on this.  Using the original OEM disks from HP, I attempted a server recovery.  That didn't seem to fix the problem whereby the server would crash the network.  So, I then installed a 32bit version of Win7 (care of MSDN subscription) to perform a factory reset.  it didn't have any problems (health indicator was green (other than to indicate computers not being backed up and that the back up service had not started due to me unplugging the eSata drive)).  Around about the time that PP3 was installed is when I began receiving the above referenced health notice. So, to answer your question, I have performed both recently.   
    Do you have any folders set for duplication?  If so, how much data is in each one?  Are there any folders marked as "unhealthy" in the Console?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:30 AM
  • I have 9 shared folders: used space and duplication status
    [userfolder1], 67.77GB, On  
    [userfolder2], 8.91GB, On
    [userfolder3], 1.04GB, On
    Music, Empty, On
    Photos, 153.02GB, On
    Public, 4.9GB, On
    Recorded TV, 25.46GB, On
    Software,112.32GB, On
    Videos, Empty, On

I have also added (via RDC) a 'Media' share drive underwhich I have a 'movies' share folder (due to the way ITunes manages the media library, I cannot have multiple folders/shares for movies, music, etc. unless they are within another shared folder.)  If there is another, better way to do this, I'd love to know.
    Media, 474GB, ?

All folders in the console report in as healthy, but the 'media' share does not show up in the console.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:58 AM
  • if the folders does not show up in the console view, is it not included in the storage balancing? Thereby remaining on DATA (D:) drive and not participating in storage balancing?
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 6:04 AM

I added a shared drive under D:\Shares via RDC rather than through the Console.  I then proceeded to fill up the DATA (D:) partition of the system drive, but since the share was not registering in the console, it was not being property managed by the storage balancing.  Thus, the (D:) DATA partition of the system drive [Disk0 above], was filled up and not available and resulted in the warning message.  

What I did to fix it:
    I moved all the files from the Media shared folder into the 'Music' shared folder, deleted the 'Media' shared folder via RDC and re-added the 'Media' Share folder from the Console.

I also noticed that the LED indicators all of a sudden miraculously started working (according to the dimming setting I set in the Console), and the Health indicator is now green.

I find it interesting that 1) the Console does not permit me to stack shared folders (I want a 'music' share and a 'movies' share within a 'media' share so that I can associate 'music' and 'movies' with their respective media libraries in Win7 and thus in Windows Media Center, but also permit iTunes to collect and manage my media - which requires it all to be located in one folder. and 2) that fixing the hard drive space issue also corrected the LED indicators... anyone want ot provide more detailed commentary, or should I report this as a bug?  Thanks a ton for your help!
    • Marked as answer by CountUSC Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:30 AM
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:30 AM

Yep, that's your problem.  You went around WHS completely.  All admin functions need to be done through the Console (otherwise WHS doesn't know about it).  As a matter of fact, logging into the server desktop for any reason is unsupported.

What I did to fix it:

It's not a bug.  However, if you believe that there should be one big media folder, then you should file a suggestion on Connect.
    Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:56 PM