Network Critical Alert - Not Enough Free Space on Some Hard Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I do not have duplication turned on in any of the shared folders so I shouldn't be getting this warning! My 1TB HDD is showing as 54.4GB Total size. That 54 GB is on the 80 GB sys disk as WHS insists that the sys volume can only be 20GB, but I want that stupid error gone. If MS had given us more control I would have made the 80GB just a system disk and the 1TB the data and been happy as could be, instead they complicate it with drive extender and create problems like this. I have 700GB unused on the 1TB HDD and I shouldn't be getting this obnoxious warning. Can anyone give me a clue on this?

Tim Pickard A+, Net+, Sec+, MCSA Web Administrator
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:17 PM

Answers

• I had the same problem, ended up searching the web, came across a little tool that fixes this error.. Called the Drive Balancer,

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/6466-drive-balancer-app-now-available/

It basically manipulates the way whs deals with data and forces it to move it off one drive to another without any data loss.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by tpickard Saturday, January 7, 2012 3:08 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:23 PM

All replies

• Don't copy files directly to your server's D: drive via D:\Shares\etc. Doing so is known to cause the D: partition to fill up. Instead, copy files to your server's shares. When copying from the server desktop (note that desktop use is unsupported), there's a shortcut to the shares for you to use.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 19, 2010 3:24 PM
  • I moved every file except 28 MB on my wife's share (that I know she put on using the share) and returned it through the Share as you indicated, and it has not eliminated the Alert. There is no duplication and the only backups are the clients to the WHS database and the database through WHS BDBB to an external drive hooked to the WHS and not added as storage. The WHS BDBB is done manually and definately shouldn't generate this stupid alert. I believe everything is actually working the way it should, except the alerts notification. Unfortunately the alert does not give enough information to fix the problem and I can't set it to ignore the problem. Am I missing an update?
    Tim Pickard A+, Net+, Sec+, MCSA, Web Administrator
    Monday, November 22, 2010 5:51 AM
  • I had the same problem, ended up searching the web, came across a little tool that fixes this error.. Called the Drive Balancer,

http://forum.wegotserved.com/index.php?/topic/6466-drive-balancer-app-now-available/

It basically manipulates the way whs deals with data and forces it to move it off one drive to another without any data loss.

Cheers

• Marked as answer by tpickard Saturday, January 7, 2012 3:08 AM
    Monday, November 22, 2010 10:23 PM