none
you may permanently lose the files on this missing hard drive if you continute RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hello

I'm new to this forum and I really need some help.  Here is the story.  I have a EX490 with four 2TB HDD (seagate ST32000542AS).  A few month ago the boot drive started to fail.  I removed one of the none boot drive properly with the "remove" feature, wiped it out, completed imaged the boot drive to this wiped none boot drive with Acronis.  I installed the new boot drive back in, everything worked fine, so now I'm running on three 2TB HDD

Last week I noticed one of the none boot drive disappeared.  The light was off and the drive was making clicking noise.  I have taken it out and got it ready to be RMAed.  I didn't think too much of the data because i knew most of my folders have the file duplication feature turned on and I thought my files would be safe.  Only until today my wife told me that she couldn't opened some of the pictures, then I started looking at my files.  A lot of the pictures now can't be opened.  The files shows up but I can't open them.   Some are okay but I have lost a good chunk of those pictures.  Now I started to panic.  The bad HDD is on its way to seagate, I don't know if I can get it back. 

Can anyone please tell me if my files are still there?? I thought the file duplication thing suppose to keep files on multiple HDDs.  I think I should have enough space for duplication since I still had three 2TB HDD before the one died.  I have attached two screen captures of my current folder status & storage status.  The 2TB drive that died is now shown as "missing".  I am desperate to know if I can the missing photos back.  All my photos are in the "Photo Original" folder.   Thanks in advance for any person who can help. 

PS. I have now added another 1TB HDD to the original boot drive slot.  Also my remaining two 2TB HDD are both showing bad sectors in HomeServer Smart.  This is crazy.  All drives are starting to die.  The temp are at 38C, shouldn't be too bad.  I don't know what to do. 
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:12 AM

All replies

• Hello

I'm new to this forum and I really need some help.  Here is the story.  I have a EX490 with four 2TB HDD (seagate ST32000542AS).  A few month ago the boot drive started to fail.  I removed one of the none boot drive properly with the "remove" feature, wiped it out, completed imaged the boot drive to this wiped none boot drive with Acronis.  I installed the new boot drive back in, everything worked fine, so now I'm running on three 2TB HDD

Last week I noticed one of the none boot drive disappeared.  The light was off and the drive was making clicking noise.  I have taken it out and got it ready to be RMAed.  I didn't think too much of the data because i knew most of my folders have the file duplication feature turned on and I thought my files would be safe.  Only until today my wife told me that she couldn't opened some of the pictures, then I started looking at my files.  A lot of the pictures now can't be opened.  The files shows up but I can't open them.   Some are okay but I have lost a good chunk of those pictures.  Now I started to panic.  The bad HDD is on its way to seagate, I don't know if I can get it back. 

Can anyone please tell me if my files are still there?? I thought the file duplication thing suppose to keep files on multiple HDDs.  I think I should have enough space for duplication since I still had three 2TB HDD before the one died.  I have attached two screen captures of my current folder status & storage status.  The 2TB drive that died is now shown as "missing".  I am desperate to know if I can the missing photos back.  All my photos are in the "Photo Original" folder.   Thanks in advance for any person who can help. 

PS. I have now added another 1TB HDD to the original boot drive slot.  Also my remaining two 2TB HDD are both showing bad sectors in HomeServer Smart.  This is crazy.  All drives are starting to die.  The temp are at 38C, shouldn't be too bad.  I don't know what to do. 
    Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:00 AM
  • This FAQ discusses what data is at risk when a drive fails. You should start by reading it. Then you should read this one, as well. Most important, the drive that started clicking is dead. That you've sent it to Seagate doesn't change that; the clicking sound and the dark drive light indicate that the drive has failed. Any data you may lose as a result of that is already lost. I would say you should, at this point, proceed with the removal of the "missing" drive. Afterward you may possibly need to turn off duplication for some shares, if your server doesn't have the space to duplicate everything again. Until you've removed the "missing" drive, though, some files will continue to be inaccessible.

Regarding your other drives: They're older drives, and older drives have a higher likelihood of failure. Also, it's not uncommon for a drive to develop a bad sector or two over time. You need to monitor them and if they continue to develop more and more bad sectors, you may need to be proactive and replace one or both.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, May 31, 2012 10:51 AM
  • Hi,

is the share containing these files duplicated? In this case it should be enough to remove the missing disk via console to get the tombstones rewritten to point to the proper storage position.

If not, and the dead disk is really unaccessible, you will no longer be able to recover the data, unless you performed a server backup before. See also the FAQ How to recover data after server failure to understand, how data is stored in WHS v.1.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, June 1, 2012 7:25 AM