Full System Restore - How done? RRS feed

• Question

• The help file has headings but no content.

I need to restore a WXP x64 virtual guest as the windows update has ~ 6 updates to apply but fails.

seems quickest thing to do is a full restore.

In the past this has meant using the Restore CD/DVD and rebooting.

How is it done now?

Thanks!

Gary

Wednesday, August 18, 2010 6:49 PM

Answers

• If you have a backup of this PC, you can use one of two methods - CD restore or USB restore.

Since your using a VM, you will need to use the Restore CD which you can donwload off connect (RestoreCD.iso).

The other option (if you are using a phyical machine) is by a USB key.  You can create a restore USB key from the computers and backup by clicking on additional client computer backup tasks, selecting tools, and clicking on the create Key.  This will then walk you through the process of creating a restore key.

Once you have booted the failed machine off the CD/ISO (or USB key for a physical machine), the process of restore is pretty straight forward wizard driven (please note you will need DHCP)

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:35 PM

All replies

• If you have a backup of this PC, you can use one of two methods - CD restore or USB restore.

Since your using a VM, you will need to use the Restore CD which you can donwload off connect (RestoreCD.iso).

The other option (if you are using a phyical machine) is by a USB key.  You can create a restore USB key from the computers and backup by clicking on additional client computer backup tasks, selecting tools, and clicking on the create Key.  This will then walk you through the process of creating a restore key.

Once you have booted the failed machine off the CD/ISO (or USB key for a physical machine), the process of restore is pretty straight forward wizard driven (please note you will need DHCP)

This post is "AS IS" and confers no rights.
    Michael Leworthy [MSFT]
    Senior Technical Product Manager
    Windows Server - SMB
    Microsoft Corporation
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:35 PM
  • Hi Gary,

For VAIL the client restore procedure is similar to the one for WHS V1:
    Boot the client form the restore CD and follow the directions of the restore wizard. In case special drivers are need (SATA, Network) use an addition USB thumb-drive with the proper drivers.

(Warning: VAIL preview is a beta product - so be prepared to run into trouble. Make sure you have at least one copy of any valueable data on the client before trying a restore!)

- Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:36 PM
  • Gary,

I have to ask about this question, did you run into an issue that prevented you from restoring or am I just reading more into this than is needed.

I ask because I now have backups and was going to start doing system/server restores as part of the testing.

Yes I know it is beta and no I won't lose anything but it is just a general question.

--
    Don
    Wednesday, August 18, 2010 8:43 PM
  • I just finished a Client Restore with the Restore CD, did the restore successfully.

The one thing that came up was that when you got to the "Load Drivers" window and clicked next there was no way of using the "Back" button to get back to it. Let's say you remembered something and wanted to go back and put in drivers, it wouldn't do it. It would only go back as far as logging into the Server.

I put in a suggestion for this, I know you could just start all over again to get back to the window but I would like to be able to go back and load drivers if I needed before restoring.

--
    Don
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 2:26 PM
  • Voted, Don. The Backup Button is your Friend! :)

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"DonCarlson" wrote in message news:2c8c4368-e906-46a7-8f50-f45b5437fa2c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I just finished a Client Restore with the Restore CD, did the restore successfully.

The one thing that came up was that when you got to the "Load Drivers" window and clicked next there was no way of using the "Back" button to get back to it. Let's say you remembered something and wanted to go back and put in drivers, it wouldn't do it. It would only go back as far as logging into the Server.

I put in a suggestion for this, I know you could just start all over again to get back to the window but I would like to be able to go back and load drivers if I needed before restoring.

587459 <https://connect.microsoft.com/WindowsHomeServer/feedback/details/587459/client-system-restore-load-drivers-refresh>

Don

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:40 PM
  • good stuff everyone. now for me next question... new thread.

Gary <br>
    <br>
    <br>

"DonCarlson" wrote in message news:bfa8d46c-c69e-4861-aab3-af29a85ae78a@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Gary,

I have to ask about this question, did you run into an issue that prevented you from restoring or am I just reading more into this than is needed.

I ask because I now have backups and was going to start doing system/server restores as part of the testing.

Yes I know it is beta and no I won't lose anything but it is just a general question.

Don

Thursday, August 19, 2010 4:55 PM
  • I voted, but I have not done a restore yet. I am going to try one using the USB method.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    --------------------------
    "DonCarlson" wrote in message
    news:2c8c4368-e906-46a7-8f50-f45b5437fa2c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...
     I just finished a Client Restore with the Restore CD, did the restore successfully.

The one thing that came up was that when you got to the "Load Drivers" window and clicked
    next there was no way of using the "Back" button to get back to it. Let's say you
    remembered something and wanted to go back and put in drivers, it wouldn't do it. It would
    only go back as far as logging into the Server.

I put in a suggestion for this, I know you could just start all over again to get back to
    the window but I would like to be able to go back and load drivers if I needed before
    restoring.

--
    Don

Thursday, August 19, 2010 5:01 PM
  • Me too, Art. I've a brand new 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer.

Nancy Ward
    Windows 8 BetaFerret

"artfudd" wrote in message news:8317507d-85bb-4a0f-996b-8e1608002e18@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I voted, but I have not done a restore yet. I am going to try one using the USB method.

Art [artfudd] Folden
    -------------------------- "DonCarlson" wrote in message
    news:2c8c4368-e906-46a7-8f50-f45b5437fa2c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

The one thing that came up was that when you got to the "Load Drivers" window and clicked
    next there was no way of using the "Back" button to get back to it. Let's say you
    remembered something and wanted to go back and put in drivers, it wouldn't do it. It would
    only go back as far as logging into the Server.

I put in a suggestion for this, I know you could just start all over again to get back to
    the window but I would like to be able to go back and load drivers if I needed before
    restoring.

Don

Nancy Ward
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 6:27 PM
  • Might I ask:   How does one find and use the drivers that are asked for ("Load Drivers")?  Thanks! 
    Friday, August 27, 2010 3:41 AM