Max number of Sata Hard drives? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I have 4 1TB drives running on an integrated controller on the MB, I also got one on a SATA PCI card and all was fine.

Added another PCI card and drive and while I can find, partition, mark active, etc drive in disk manager (yeah I know typically should not use that) but regardless of the status (raw, NTFS, formatted, active), WHS does not show the drive so I can add it.

I have one usb drive plugged in and have had more during the beta (3 total usb drives running)

Is there a limit of 5 SATA drives? Cant I even use it for a backup?

thanks
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:23 AM

Answers

• Hi,
    please check this FAQ. Maybe the method described there will help you to fix the issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by nate808 Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:33 PM

All replies

• There is definitely not a 5 drive limit.

I have 6 sata drives.

That is strange that you can see all the drives in Disk Manager but not in WHS.

I have had no problems on 2 different motherboards using the On Board Sata Drives and the PCI Sata Controller.

I wonder if there are any switches on your two PCI cards that give them the same addressing to WHS.   What make and model are your two PCI cards
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 1:47 PM
  • Hi,
    please check this FAQ. Maybe the method described there will help you to fix the issue.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by nate808 Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:43 AM
    Wednesday, February 4, 2009 2:33 PM
  • Thanks Olaf that was it!  You're the best
    Thursday, February 5, 2009 7:43 AM