Can you create a new CRM 2011 page/form without an entity? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to figure out if/how I can create a form or page in CRM that is not based on an entity. I know that is probably not possible, but I'm trying to figure out what I can do. I hate the idea of using IFRAMES, so if that is my only option then I'll figure out something else. I can create a popup HTML page, and that is my second option if what I want to do is not possible.  Let me explain what I am trying to do.

I'm running CRM 2011 On-premise and I want to create an administrator statistics page that will display:

• a list of all of the current record counts for each entity (5000+ is not helpful when we have 100,000 or more and are trying to monitor if new ones are currently being added).
    • a list of errors that we log when we are importing data (every hour we run an import).
    • the number of current users in CRM as of now... maybe as of a few minutes ago... assuming this is possible (as we tell them to get out when deploying a new release and want to see how many are  still in before we start). 
    • some stats we generate from a sql sproc that tell us if our data integration services are running, which import data into CRM.

To do this, I don't really need an entity per say, maybe I do, but just an HTML form to display the information.  I could create an entity if I had to, but it's an annoyance to have to open the entity to only click on one record, as there would never be a second record. I want to be able to add something like the calendar, queue, article, report, etc. pages, as these are not entities, just a page.  I don't want to do it via a custom control on a dashboard or Silverlight. But a custom control might make sense if I can display that in a way that looks like a page. 

I can add this as a popup using HTML as a web resource.  That would be fine, but I would rather that it be imbedded in the CRM IDE and not as a popup. We have numerous 3rd party tools that are build just like this, with their own pages, tables, custom searches, grids, etc. but I don't know how they are able to set those up in CRM.  It seems that they are Silverlight pages.  I don't want to do Silverlight. So how can I do the same sort of thing? How are they able to create these types of pages that show up in CRM but are not entity-based?

It seems that custom UI components are what these are referred to. If so, how can I create a page/form in CRM that displays a custom UI component? A reference to a tutorial, thread, example, etc., would be great.

Any thoughts or suggestions are much appreciated.

Best regards,

Jon Gregory Rothlander

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 3:24 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You can create a custom html webresource and give the url in the sitemap by editing sitemap xml or using sitemap editor.

But there is an issue in the icon defined from sitemap (crm 2013) .You can go throgh the below post :

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/117/t/119230.aspx

Thanks,

Seban

• Edited by Seban Mathews Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by jonrothlander Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:34 PM
    Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:18 PM

All replies

• You can create a SSRS report and it would meet your requirements.

Regards Faisal

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:11 PM
  • Thanks for your suggestions. That would work but not exactly what I want to do because I need something I can work with in real-time. But it is a good backup plan.  

I want something a little more functional where I can update the status via JavaScript real time via Ajax and use it to monitor the data loads.  So I think a custom UI control that I can display in the CRM IDE as a page of form is more along the line of what I need. 

All of the 3rd party tools we have are doing this, I just haven't encountered a need for this until now and I am not sure where to start looking at how to do this.  I see that Silverlight was the way to go before, but now you use HTML5 and JavaScript.  I just cannot find an example, tutorial, or thread that steps you through setting something like this up as it's own page in CRM.  I can build an HTML page to do all of this.  I just don't know how to get that into CRM other than poping it up from a button click.  I want to show it as a form in CRM.

Jon Gregory Rothlander

• Hi,

You can create a custom html webresource and give the url in the sitemap by editing sitemap xml or using sitemap editor.

But there is an issue in the icon defined from sitemap (crm 2013) .You can go throgh the below post :

https://community.dynamics.com/crm/f/117/t/119230.aspx

Thanks,

Seban

• Edited by Seban Mathews Tuesday, November 18, 2014 4:19 PM
    • Marked as answer by jonrothlander Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:34 PM
  • Thanks Seban... it really is that simple.  Works exactly like I want it to.

Jon Gregory Rothlander

Wednesday, November 19, 2014 2:35 PM