Can't install Microsoft Security Essentials RRS feed

• Question

• I'm logged onto WHS (PP 3) as Administrator via Remote Desktop.  I can see the MSE setup program I downloaded to the Software folder, but I cannot access it.  When trying to open it I get a message that WHS cannot access it because perhaps I don't have privileges.  How can that be when logged on as Admin?  What must I do to access this Setup program?

Ron

Ron
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:06 PM

All replies

• I'm logged onto WHS (PP 3) as Administrator via Remote Desktop.  I can see the MSE setup program I downloaded to the Software folder, but I cannot access it.  When trying to open it I get a message that WHS cannot access it because perhaps I don't have privileges.  How can that be when logged on as Admin?  What must I do to access this Setup program?

Ron

Ron
    The current version of MSE cannot be installed on WHS.  While the beta version of MSE v2 (known as Windows Security Essentials) can be installed on it, it's not supported and not recommended.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:24 PM
  • try right-clicking the file and selecting "run as". (Microsoft Security Essentials isnt yet supported on WHS, so if something goes wrong, you're on your own). also, you have to install the 32bit vista/win7 version, not the xp version.
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:28 PM
  • The current version of MSE cannot be installed on WHS. While the beta version of MSE v2 (known as Windows Security Essentials)
    can be installed on it, it's not supported and not recommended.

From an earlier post this week about the MSE 2 beta:

"Keith Yeung" wrote in message
    news:db50643a-b524-4455-ad3e-332774570e0c@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

Installing Windows Security Essentials (WSE) Beta on Windows Home Server
    is not supported at this time. As WSE is in Beta, the Windows Home Server
    team is in the process of ensuring the use of WSE with Windows Home Server
    will meet customer expectations. We will release a statement of support
    once the validation is complete, when we are confident that this
    combination will meet customer expectations.

Thanks,

Keith Yeung
    Program Manager, Windows Home Server
    Microsoft Corp.

"kariya21 [MVP]" wrote in message news:b7947c90-5499-414e-8513-c8913fd74f05@communitybridge.codeplex.com...

I'm logged onto WHS (PP 3) as Administrator via Remote Desktop. I can see the MSE setup program I downloaded to the Software folder, but I cannot access it. When trying to open it I get a message that WHS cannot access it because perhaps I don't have privileges. How can that be when logged on as Admin? What must I do to access this Setup program?

Ron

Ron

The current version of MSE cannot be installed on WHS. While the beta version of MSE v2 (known as Windows Security Essentials) can be installed on it, it's not supported and not recommended.

Have a nice day!
    Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Leen, please don't repost. That's a sticky at the top of the forum; try linking to it instead.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, August 1, 2010 2:52 AM