Update Service Not Available RRS feed

• Question

• For over 24 hours I have not been able to update my Virus and Spyware protection.  I have five systems on my network. Three are Vista and two are XP SP2.  This issue is occuring on both XP machines.

I have gone through several diagnostic steps, but have not uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled OneCare.  I did not what to have to do that if this is really an update service and not a local issue.

Is the update service really not available?  If this is a local problem, what are my next steps?

Sunday, January 20, 2008 3:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• for the entire weekend i've been trying to upgrade from trial OneCare to the discounted subscription offered. I have some 4 days left of the trial and i'd really like to subscribe now (with or without discount). I've already downloaded WindowsLive and OneCare several times over but I'm seem to be stuck / can't get much beyond the screen that says "You sound as though you need to subscribe.. Go to OneCare on line.."  I go there and am re routed to the WindowsLive home page inviting me yet again to download - I was beginning to think it may be that my machine doesn't meet system requirements - it's an XP Professional - but then I ran OneCare on this same computer for almost 90 days of trial. Can anybody advise? The problem doesn't appear to be a common one...
    Monday, January 21, 2008 3:38 AM
  •  ziepan63 wrote:
    for the entire weekend i've been trying to upgrade from trial OneCare to the discounted subscription offered. I have some 4 days left of the trial and i'd really like to subscribe now (with or without discount). I've already downloaded WindowsLive and OneCare several times over but I'm seem to be stuck / can't get much beyond the screen that says "You sound as though you need to subscribe.. Go to OneCare on line.."  I go there and am re routed to the WindowsLive home page inviting me yet again to download - I was beginning to think it may be that my machine doesn't meet system requirements - it's an XP Professional - but then I ran OneCare on this same computer for almost 90 days of trial. Can anybody advise? The problem doesn't appear to be a common one...

The discount offer required you to sign in and pay. Then installed a special installer to proceed without further activation. What process are you following to get to where you are told to get a subscription?

-steve

Monday, January 21, 2008 3:52 AM
  •  dnr wrote:

For over 24 hours I have not been able to update my Virus and Spyware protection.  I have five systems on my network. Three are Vista and two are XP SP2.  This issue is occuring on both XP machines.

I have gone through several diagnostic steps, but have not uninstalled, cleaned and reinstalled OneCare.  I did not what to have to do that if this is really an update service and not a local issue.

Is the update service really not available?  If this is a local problem, what are my next steps?

See if this post applies - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2690424&SiteID=2

If not, see 

Information to help troubleshoot and resolve update problems -

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

-steve
    Monday, January 21, 2008 3:53 AM