Automation - the 2010 edition RRS feed

• Question

• It appears that home automation was an exciting thing in the 2007 time frame with WHS V1.  Not many people or companies followed through.

I've long used WHS V1 and I have a Vail testbed also.

I'm looking at some sensing and control functions for the home server.  To make it generic, USB would be a good interface.

So unless there is anything on the market that is working well on WHS V1 then I'm looking at rolling my own control add-in on Vail.

Anyone have a good home automation solution for their server?

Thanks.

Monday, June 7, 2010 12:41 AM

All replies

• Mcontrol using a Insteon system works ok on WHS V1. Haven't tried it on Vail yet. Would like to see something more robust for automation.  
    Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:29 AM
  • I am not to sure about building add ins, but there is a line of products called X10 that is made by Intermatic. I am an electrician and we have used them for awile to control lamps and switches. The switches have radio frequencies( Iknow that is not spelled right?) and the outlets are either plug in modules or more custom looking actual outlets with the controls in the box.  Might be something to look into. The systems we usually install use a remote or a keypad like a security system. Frys sells this stuff and I have not put a system in for awhile, but i did look at the newer items and they have been updated and have more control options. Might try looking up Intermatic on the net and see what they have to offer.

Centexbear

Friday, June 11, 2010 5:48 PM
  • Well I like to hear this kind of idea.
    I have developed Home Automation server software before WHS came along on Windows XPE. When I saw WHS come out I was excited.
    I have always thought that there is a possibility to make home automation accessible to more people than can currently afford it. Of course there are products that can be cobbled together to make something work some of the time but usually only by the builder of the system because it isn't user friendly and of course at that point the wife is unhappy.
    On this subject see my comments at CEPro "WhatWill Make Home Automation Mainstream" it’s a .pdf file.

So anyway I like what you are thinking and no I don't know of a good home automation solution out there (good with regard to my thoughts noted in the comment at CEPro.)

My two cents: I'm not sure USB is the right first mover unless you have a specific device in mind that you want to control first off. You will want to connect to devices and sub-systems all over the house and property - remote to the physical location of the WHS.
    ie: audio/video components, lighting, drapery, security subsystems, basic sensors & control contacts for driveway, doorbell, garage door weather stations, sprinkler systems etc..... 
    To connect to these remote devices I think you will want Ethernet, Wireless Ethernet, Zigbee, Z-Wave that will communicate directly or bridge over to RS232, IR, basic contact I/O & voltage ramping etc..

tbowland

Friday, June 18, 2010 9:24 PM