Uninstalled .NET Framework Version 2.0 SP1 on WHS- Now client cannot remote connect to server RRS feed

• Question

• What a disaster…

Was having net2.0 error on the server's event log and decided to uninstalled and re-installed  .NET Framework Version 2.0 SP1 on WHS. Reinstalled with NetFx20SP1_x86.exe (version. Nov22, 2007).

Now, client #1 cannot connect to server and posts the following message:
    The  computer cannot connect to your home server.Check your network connection and make sure your home server is powered on.............

So decided to reinstall the connector software on client #2. from the \\Server\Software\Home Server Connector Software folder (Its Power Pack1). I find the server and I enter the password.

But it now posts a installation  error: 

This operation cannot be completed at this time.
    Please try again later. If the problem persists, please contact product Support

So n client #2, I run the toolkit V1.1 and a bunch errors get posted.
    Cannot connect to the server secure internal Web site
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (password hint page)
    Cannot connect to the server internal Web site (ASPX page)

Check the following:

• Your home server and home computers are connected to the same router. (Checked and OK)
    • Internet Information Services (IIS) is running on Windows Home Server. ( How do I check this?)
    • The "WHS site" is started on IIS. (How do I check this?)
    • There is a security certificate installed on the "WHS site". (How do I check this?)
    • TCP ports 55000 and 56000 are open on your Windows Home Server Windows Firewall. (Checked and OK)

If I go the server’s open windows home server console, I see cleinet #1 and manually back-it  up

How do I get my clients back so it  remote access the server?

Thanks,

Patrick

Sunday, December 7, 2008 4:39 PM

Answers

• The procedure is, in general:
    • Boot from the Windows Home Server installation media.
    • At the hardware detection screen, make sure all your drives are visible. If some drives aren't visible, you will have to supply drivers for the storage controller(s) they are connected to. If your system drive isn't visible, you will need an "F6 floppy". Presumably in that case you needed one when you originally set up your server, so you should be familiar with the procedure.
    • On the screen where you are asked what kind of installation you want to perform, you should have two options: new installation and server reinstallation. Choose reinstallation.
    • Leave the DVD in the drive through the rest of the installation process.

If you have an OEM unit (such as from HP), please consult the documentation for the correct server recovery procedures, as they will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You will want to follow the server recovery procedure, not the factory reset procedure.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:33 PM

All replies

• The fastest way to recover (and the only supported method) is a server reinstallation. This is a special installation mode which will preserve the files in your shares (and usually your backups). You will have to reinstall add-ins, reconfigure users, rejoin PCs to the server (they should be automatically reconnected to their backups), and reinstall any software you may have installed using remote desktop or a physical console.

• Marked as answer by Patrick0525 Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:22 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Patrick0525 Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:22 PM
    Sunday, December 7, 2008 5:27 PM
  • How do I do re-install? Can you briefly describe it? I don't want to do complete re-install with my database backed up to an external harddrive. Thanks!

Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:21 PM
  • The procedure is, in general:
    • Boot from the Windows Home Server installation media.
    • At the hardware detection screen, make sure all your drives are visible. If some drives aren't visible, you will have to supply drivers for the storage controller(s) they are connected to. If your system drive isn't visible, you will need an "F6 floppy". Presumably in that case you needed one when you originally set up your server, so you should be familiar with the procedure.
    • On the screen where you are asked what kind of installation you want to perform, you should have two options: new installation and server reinstallation. Choose reinstallation.
    • Leave the DVD in the drive through the rest of the installation process.

If you have an OEM unit (such as from HP), please consult the documentation for the correct server recovery procedures, as they will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. You will want to follow the server recovery procedure, not the factory reset procedure.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:33 PM
  • Thanks, I will give it a try and report back. My WHS is a home built and uses OEM disks.

Sunday, December 7, 2008 6:39 PM
  • When I tried to re-install the only choice was new installation. There was no other choice.
    So I did a re-install and copied over the database and shares folders previously copied onto an external Hdrive.

Everything was fine after that.

Patrick
    Monday, December 8, 2008 4:59 PM
  • Had you installed any add-ins (through the Console) or other software (through remote desktop or physical console), just before you started having problems with .Net Framework 2.0?
    Tuesday, December 9, 2008 3:55 PM
  • Yes, the typical add-ins: Windows server toolkit ,Asoft autoexit 2008 R2 foe WHS , windows home server disk management , and Whiist- website Management Plugin.
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008 3:15 AM