How to determine if a customer exists in CRM using workflows RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, i have started reading up on MS Dynamics CRM 4.0 and I am trying to setup a HelpDesk for my company. I would just like to find out if it's possible to determine if a customer exists in CRM by using workflows. I want to automate a process for a HelpDesk situation where a case is opened and the HelpDesk attendant needs to check if a customer exists before capturing the case details. I can create a workflow to see if a customer number/name equals a specific value, but I can't seem to figure out how I can do this with a case entity form. I basically want to be able to click a button or field on the form where i can determine if a customer exists by entering a value on the case entity form or a pop-up form(if this is possible). If the customer dosn't exist HelpDesk  should ceate a new customer account and if a customer does exist HelpDesk should capture the case details. Is there a way in which this validation process can happen before capturing any info?

I would appreciate any form of help.

Thanx, soulcany_07.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:43 AM

Answers

• Users generally create cases from either: (a) the customer's record, or (b) the case's area.

If they are using method (a), then the user has already searched for and found the customer record (either an account or contact). You can make this easier by modifying the Quick Find view to search on the fields that your users need to use to find customer records quickly.

If they are using method (b), then user has to associate the customer with the new case in the Customer lookup field on the case form. The user can type the first few letters of the customer's name, or they can click on the lookup icon to perform a lookup query. Again, you can customise the lookup view to search on the fields that your users need to use to find customer records quickly. If the customer doesn't exist, they can click New from within the lookup window and create the customer record before returning to the case record.

CRM workflows are used to automate repetitive tasks and can't really be used just to determine if a customer record already exists.

Hope this helps?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:52 AM

All replies

• Users generally create cases from either: (a) the customer's record, or (b) the case's area.

If they are using method (a), then the user has already searched for and found the customer record (either an account or contact). You can make this easier by modifying the Quick Find view to search on the fields that your users need to use to find customer records quickly.

If they are using method (b), then user has to associate the customer with the new case in the Customer lookup field on the case form. The user can type the first few letters of the customer's name, or they can click on the lookup icon to perform a lookup query. Again, you can customise the lookup view to search on the fields that your users need to use to find customer records quickly. If the customer doesn't exist, they can click New from within the lookup window and create the customer record before returning to the case record.

CRM workflows are used to automate repetitive tasks and can't really be used just to determine if a customer record already exists.

Hope this helps?

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd. You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:52 AM
  • Yes that did help, thanx for shedding light on my side. I'm slowly getting there.

Thanx a span.

Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:56 AM