Microsoft validation problem RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I keep getting this message on my screen:
    "You may be a victim of Software Counterfitting"
    "This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows Validation"
    I have been using this copy for quite awhile now and hadn't had any problems 'til recently. I don't know what to do. I'm afraid to try anything that comes up on the screen these days. Also, when I add a screensaver it quickly dissapears.
    Any help would be appreciated.

Here is what it said:

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Geographically blocked PID
    Validation Code: 13
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J
    Windows Product Key Hash: Ro/Y7HENE9CfW7lW+QtlNbYQEE8=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-640-8365391-23341
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    ID: {FB1A3C99-8DBD-459E-8325-8C1999B7AB20}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A
    WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A
    WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 13
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft
    OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 109 N/A
    OGA Version: N/A, 0x80070002
    Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed
    File Scan Data-->
    Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{FB1A3C99-8DBD-459E-8325-8C1999B7AB20}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-VPK3J</PKey><PID>76487-640-8365391-23341</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1993962763-1202660629-1957994488</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>IBM</Manufacturer><Model>2174862    </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>S30EN1B</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="1"/><Date>19991007000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>2D230E8801842055</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Eastern Standard Time(GMT-05:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/><Applications/></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 
    Licensing Data-->
    N/A
    HWID Data-->
    N/A
    OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: no
    Marker string from BIOS: N/A
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005
    OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:08 PM

Answers

• Hello bar45by8charb,

Right now, your IBM computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 9), and that installation was done with a now geographically blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are geographically blocked (blocked when used outside of the geographic region agreed to by Microsoft and the original keyholder) by Microsoft in cooperation with the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

The particular Product Key you are using, which ends in 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J, is a widely pirated key, and it looks like it recently had a geographically block put on it to try to curb its use, which probably explains why it was showing as Genuine up until recently.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therfore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer.

Quite often this situation is the result of untrained computer repair personnel at shops using downloaded copies of XP Pro to repair computers that never came with XP Pro.  If you have ever taken your computer to a repair shop, or if a well-meaning friend ever helped you fix the computer, then this is the likely source of the problem.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Your IBM computer did NOT come brand new from IBM with this installation of XP Pro using the Volume Licensing Key.  If you look on the computer you will see a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that tells you what version and edition of Windows came with the computer.  If the CoA says that XP Pro came with the computer, then you may be able to use the Product Key Updater Utility http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 to "genuine-ize" the XP Pro installation now on the computer.  If your IBM computer came with XP Home, Media Center Edition, or Tablet Edition, the Key Updater will not work.

So if the CoA is NOT for XP Pro, the best course of action right now is to acquire a set of Recovery CDs from IBM, then backup and offload your data for safekeeping, then use the Recovery CDs to cleanly install the right XP onto your computer.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:59 AM

All replies

• To help us analyze and troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool
    Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post. 

Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Monday, October 5, 2009 10:12 PM
  • They gave you the output from the diagnostic tool.
    Why did you ask them to do it again???
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 1:12 AM
  • Hello bar45by8charb,

Right now, your IBM computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed (Line 9), and that installation was done with a now geographically blocked Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are geographically blocked (blocked when used outside of the geographic region agreed to by Microsoft and the original keyholder) by Microsoft in cooperation with the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, misused, or expired.  Also, MS may have blocked the key if it notices a pattern of misuse, ie, more installations of XP using that key than authorized.

The particular Product Key you are using, which ends in 3R89F-D2KXW-VPK3J, is a widely pirated key, and it looks like it recently had a geographically block put on it to try to curb its use, which probably explains why it was showing as Genuine up until recently.

As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Additionally, VL editions are Upgrade licenses ONLY, and therfore cannot be used as the primary or base license for a computer.

Quite often this situation is the result of untrained computer repair personnel at shops using downloaded copies of XP Pro to repair computers that never came with XP Pro.  If you have ever taken your computer to a repair shop, or if a well-meaning friend ever helped you fix the computer, then this is the likely source of the problem.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Your IBM computer did NOT come brand new from IBM with this installation of XP Pro using the Volume Licensing Key.  If you look on the computer you will see a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) that tells you what version and edition of Windows came with the computer.  If the CoA says that XP Pro came with the computer, then you may be able to use the Product Key Updater Utility http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=45668 to "genuine-ize" the XP Pro installation now on the computer.  If your IBM computer came with XP Home, Media Center Edition, or Tablet Edition, the Key Updater will not work.

So if the CoA is NOT for XP Pro, the best course of action right now is to acquire a set of Recovery CDs from IBM, then backup and offload your data for safekeeping, then use the Recovery CDs to cleanly install the right XP onto your computer.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, October 7, 2009 5:57 PM
    Tuesday, October 6, 2009 2:59 AM
  • Quote from drjanety:
    "They gave you the output from the diagnostic tool.
    Why did you ask them to do it again???"

Becaue the Diagnostic Report wasn't there then Carey first asked for it.  The user Edited their original post and added the Report later (If you look at the original post, you can see the  "Edited bybar45by8charb Monday, October 05, 2009 10:45 PM"... which is 13 minutes After Carey asked for the report).

Please limit your posts to the Actual issue at hand.

Thank you,
    Darin MS

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 6:06 PM
  • Thanks for your input on all this. I still don't understand the answer but I will take my computer into the shop and have him fix things up for me. He is a good guy and will not charge too much. Thanks again.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 7:49 PM
  • Hello bar45by8charb,

Flip your laptop over and look for the Certificate of Authenticity label.

Tell us what kind of Windows is printed on the label.

Don't post the product key!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009 8:13 PM
  • I don't have a laptop. I have and IBM computer tower and a DELL screen. Second, or third, or fourth hand, LOL. I can't afford a brand new one.
    Wednesday, October 7, 2009 9:13 PM
  • Hello bar45by8charb,

Sorry, I thought that model of IBM was a laptop.

So look on the computer tower for the Certificate of Authenticity label.

Tell us what kind of Windows is printed on the label.

Don't post the product key!
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:07 AM
  • If you mean the little silver sticker on the front with the colored flag, then it says : Designed for Microsoft Windows 98
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:17 AM
  • Hello bar45by8charb,

Nope :-)

This web page will help you nail it down:  http://www.microsoft.com/howtotell/windows/quiz.aspx?method=oem_coa&displaylang=en
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 12:56 AM
  • Well then I guess I can't find it and I don't understand much about the technical side of things. I just will take it to my computer guy and have him check it all out for this and if there are any bugs hiding. Thanks for trying to help. I appreciate it.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:13 AM
  • Hello bar45by8charb,

If you were not able to locate a Certificate of Authenticity on the computer, and the computer has that silvery Windows '98 label on it, then it must be an older computer from the Windows '98 era.  Microsoft did not start having OEMs put CoAs on computers until Windows Me and Windows 2000.

So it's a logical assumption that the computer might have ben licensed to run Windows 98, but without a CoA for Windows XP, it is not licensed to run Windows XP.

In order to correct the WGA Notification you are seeing on the screen when you start up and when the background goes black every hour, you have to install a genuine license for Windows.  You can purchase genuine Windows directly from Microsoft, or from a trusted and honest local retailer or name-brand online retailer.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:21 AM
  • Thanks, I'll do that when I take it to the computer guy. Bye.
    Thursday, October 8, 2009 1:47 AM