none
Why doesn't technet forum support Chrome AND defunct survey RRS feed

• Question

• Every time I forget and try to post a question from Chrome the server throws an error. Isn't it a good idea to support standards?  Here is the error:

<big>    ICAP Error (icap_error)</big> 
        An error occurred while performing an ICAP operation: Internal error: 79 An    unexpected error occurred.

There could be a network problem, the ICAP service may be misconfigured, or the ICAP server may have reported an error.

I also just got asked to participate in a survey on the website and I said I would do so. I was already done with my visit so I next immediately exited the browser window and the survey window popped up saying that you already had enough surveys. That is a lousy way to treat users: do something stupid and then not give them opportunity to express how stupid it was.

• Moved by Mike Kinsman Monday, October 29, 2012 1:37 PM off topic (From:TechNet Website Feedback)
    • Moved by Mr. Wharty Monday, October 29, 2012 10:44 PM (From:Off-Topic Posts (Do Not Post Here))
    Friday, October 26, 2012 11:00 PM

Answers

• As Ed indicated, this inquiry has been "answered" in the sense that it is a known failure and is in the support team's bug log. So as far as my original question in the title, I think the answer is: The forum doesn't support Chrome because there is a bug in the forum software.  And for my second question I think the answer is the same: a bug.

Thanks Naomi, Edi and Mike for your participation. Since you have 2 to 4 orders of magnitude more points than I do, I think I'll give myself credit for the answer :-)

• Marked as answer by KevinBuchs Monday, November 12, 2012 4:10 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:10 PM

All replies

• THanks for your post Kevin.  I post regularly from Chrome (I'm using it right now), and I dont have the same issues you're seeing.  I'm going to move your post to the forums issues forum since those folks focus on it.

Thanks,
    MIke

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, October 29, 2012 1:37 PM
  • crap, and then I accidentally moved this to off topic, rather than the forums issues forum.  Sorry :(   I was sort of on autopilot and forgot what I was doing.

Unfortunately, I'm not a moderator here so I cant move threads from off topic anywhere else.    Can you repost your question here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/reportabug/threads ?

I'll drop a line over there too and ask them to come post here.

Thanks,
    Mike

MSDN and TechNet Subscriptions Support
    Read the Subscriptions Blog!

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:48 PM
  • Moving to Forum Issues.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Monday, October 29, 2012 9:52 PM
    Owner
  • Except for unexpected error I got quite regularly in Chrome, I don't get the problem you're describing. I also luckily don't get prompted about surveys when I am logged in.

But the 'unexpected error' is quite annoying and another bug discussed in the thread below. 

BTW, isn't it ironic? I got this famous 'Unexpected error' now. Trying to submit my post again.

----------

Got this error again, so this is my third attempt to post.

So, I was able to post after two 'Unexpected Error' in a row.

For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert. - Becker's Law

My blog

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 1:28 AM
  • Except for unexpected error I got quite regularly in Chrome, I don't get the problem you're describing. I also luckily don't get prompted about surveys when I am logged in.

But the 'unexpected error' is quite annoying and another bug discussed in the thread below. 

BTW, isn't it ironic? I got this famous 'Unexpected error' now. Trying to submit my post again.

----------

Got this error again, so this is my third attempt to post.

So, I was able to post after two 'Unexpected Error' in a row.

My blog

Naomi, were you going to link to a similar thread?

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Customer Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 8:07 AM
    Owner
  • No, as I recall I didn't intend to link - these threads are still in the forum not far down.

My blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012 11:54 AM
  • Still an issue? I cannot repro.

Saturday, November 3, 2012 11:38 AM
    Owner
  • Today I haven't gotten 'Unexpected error' yet.

My blog

Sunday, November 4, 2012 3:38 AM
  • I'm attempting to post a reply -- if it works then it was not still an issue.
    Monday, November 5, 2012 3:17 PM
  • I got a few of unexpected errors on Sunday and today. BTW, the above post is proposed as an answer, but no history - this is another error.

I got the error right now trying to post this message.

My blog

Monday, November 5, 2012 3:32 PM
  • UPDATE: The Forums team is proactively working on this.

Thanks!

Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:37 AM
    Owner
  • Ed, Thanks. Your work is appreciated.

Note: I just tried to post this reply in Chrome and it failed. I came to IE. But later I could post a reply in Chrome.

I noticed another deficiency when using Chrome: I do not have the buttons to "Unpropose as answer" for those replies suggested as proposed answers. 

I am planning to keep this question as unanswered until the reply that says "it is fixed!" comes.  

Thursday, November 8, 2012 3:44 PM
  • Guaranteeing a fix is out of scope of this forum. All we guarantee is getting it into the product team's bug log and back log.

Which is actually pretty good for a forum. You won't get something like that in an Office forum. The most you'd get is a workaround, not even a guarantee of getting on the team's back log.

Thanks!

Sunday, November 11, 2012 6:33 AM
    Owner
  • You have these buttons only in the threads you started.

I still keep getting this error. Got it today a few times already. I am using Google Chrome.

My blog

Sunday, November 11, 2012 4:11 PM
  • Right, Naomi, and I did start this thread and was logged in, but didn't get the buttons in Chrome.
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:02 PM
  • As Ed indicated, this inquiry has been "answered" in the sense that it is a known failure and is in the support team's bug log. So as far as my original question in the title, I think the answer is: The forum doesn't support Chrome because there is a bug in the forum software.  And for my second question I think the answer is the same: a bug.

Thanks Naomi, Edi and Mike for your participation. Since you have 2 to 4 orders of magnitude more points than I do, I think I'll give myself credit for the answer :-)

• Marked as answer by KevinBuchs Monday, November 12, 2012 4:10 PM
    Monday, November 12, 2012 4:10 PM