load balancing using the CRM professional Edition RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding load balancing using the CRM professional Edition. (I understand this is allowed using the enterprise edition).

CRM professional allows us to install CRM (web site and database) on a server – if we wanted to split this over two web servers, one database server and the final server for the Async service can this be done and is it legal under the MSCRM licensing agreement?

The setup we envisage will be.....

CRMSRV_01:  CRM Web Site, Async service disabled

CRMSRV_02:   CRM Web Site, Async service disabled

CRMSRV_03:   CRM Web site and Async process

SQL_SRV01:     SQL Database hosting the CRM organisation and the MSCRM_Config

Friday, August 20, 2010 8:08 PM

Answers

• CRM Professional edition is approved for load balancing. 

Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Server on multiple computers

The following editions of Microsoft Dynamics CRM are supported for multiple-server installations.

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Professional
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Enterprise

Installing Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Workgroup on multiple servers is not supported and is a violation of the license agreement.

Regards, Donna

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:23 PM
  • This is starting to feel like a trick question on a certification exam, haha, just kidding. Yes, I think Enterprise allows for component installations on multiple machines but not Professional.  Your best option is to confirm with your Partner or Microsoft directly.

Regards, Donna

Monday, August 23, 2010 12:23 AM
  • I ran a hosted CRM platform with many CRM servers and found that multiple platform servers running the aysnc service caused conflicts that prevented some async operations being processed. This was in the days of Update Rollup 2, so Microsoft may have fixed the issues that we had. So perhaps it is worth testing multiple platform servers running the async service before using this configuration in a production environment.

Donna is correct regarding licensing. You can use multiple CRM servers running Pro or Ent editions, but you'll need three server licenses since you have three servers operating in your live environment.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

• Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Monday, August 23, 2010 7:10 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:45 AM

All replies

• CRM Professional edition is approved for load balancing. 

Install Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Server on multiple computers

The following editions of Microsoft Dynamics CRM are supported for multiple-server installations.

• Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Professional
    • Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Enterprise

Installing Microsoft Dynamics CRM 4.0 Workgroup on multiple servers is not supported and is a violation of the license agreement.

Regards, Donna

Friday, August 20, 2010 10:23 PM
  • Hi Donna,

Thanks for the info - one question from all of this.

We use a lot of workflows therefore I'm keen on spreading the laod of the Async service. Am I correct in saying with CRM professional we can only have one server with the Async running but with Enterprise we can mutlitple servers with the Async running.

Sunday, August 22, 2010 6:47 PM
  • This is starting to feel like a trick question on a certification exam, haha, just kidding. Yes, I think Enterprise allows for component installations on multiple machines but not Professional.  Your best option is to confirm with your Partner or Microsoft directly.

Regards, Donna

Monday, August 23, 2010 12:23 AM
  • I ran a hosted CRM platform with many CRM servers and found that multiple platform servers running the aysnc service caused conflicts that prevented some async operations being processed. This was in the days of Update Rollup 2, so Microsoft may have fixed the issues that we had. So perhaps it is worth testing multiple platform servers running the async service before using this configuration in a production environment.

Donna is correct regarding licensing. You can use multiple CRM servers running Pro or Ent editions, but you'll need three server licenses since you have three servers operating in your live environment.

Regards, Neil

Neil Benson, CRM Addict and MVP at Customery Ltd.You can reach me on LinkedIn or Twitter.

• Marked as answer by MSCRM MAN Monday, August 23, 2010 7:10 PM
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:45 AM
  • There was a deadlock issue when multiple async services were up and running (975490), but this was fixed with UR7. So it is possible with professional edition to install multiple servers with all roles (cause with professional edition you cannot split server roles). And you can have multiple async services up and running.

Gruß Carsten Groth http://carstengroth.spaces.live.com
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:51 AM
  • Thanks to all for your responses - a great help :)
    Monday, August 23, 2010 7:10 PM