HP Ex470/485 RRS feed

• Question

• I am planning to add 2 Gb memory and upgrade to WHS 2011. Since this server does not have VGA & DVD, can I install WHS 2011 on another computer the the hd and put the hd from the source computer into the EX470/485 server? 

I am not interested in saving the data on the hd, just a clean install. Can I use a 500 Gb drive with WHS 2011 as drive 0 and add a 1 Tb drive as drive 1?

Thanks,

Friday, December 23, 2011 5:35 PM

All replies

• Honestly, I would not recommend doing this. A headless server with a generic installation of Windows Home Server 2011 will be difficult to restore in the event of a failure; headless servers are really intended to be restored remotely (over a network) and Microsoft doesn't supply tools that would make that possible for the average end user.

In addition, your server will just barely meet the minimum specs for memory and processor, which means that it won't be useful for much more than basic file sharing and streaming. Certainly transcoding on the fly will not give you results you will like...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 24, 2011 1:57 AM
  • Thanks for the reply, I do plan on using this as a basic file server. Since I have not purchased WHS 2011 and do not have install instructions, what method would you suggest? I am using Win 7, can this be installed to the headless sever via a client?

Thanks again for your response, Happy Holidays to you.

John

Saturday, December 24, 2011 4:45 PM