Most recent driver? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,

Observation:
    when copying (explorer) from a WS to WHS, 4 out of 10 times the WHS aborts, restarts and asks me to check storage HW and drivers.

Platform:
    WS: Win7 x64, WHS: ASUS P5K, Promise X4, 8 HDD (1, 1.5 and 2 TB), LAN DIR 655

Effort:
    chkdsk with f and r on all drives - no problems. Have most recent drivers according to MS.

Reflection:
    How reliable is the driver update on WHS? All discs have driver date 2002-10-1 version 5.2.3790.0. Hello, my discs are all less than 18 months old! On-board controller driver is dated 2007-05-16, as is the PSI Promise TX4. Bios for the chip is recent (sep 2009)

Question:
    Should I get the most recent drivers form the manufacturer's site? Microsoft says that 2002 is a good year for HDD drivers.

Other:
    I feel that using 3 HDD-controllers (chip, on-board and PSI) may be a bit risky, so I plan to install a PSI-E 8-channel controller (RocketRAID  2320), only using the chip-controller for System drive and optical drive. Any comments on that?

Hope to get this behind me. WHS is otherwise performing well.
    Friday, January 15, 2010 6:23 PM

Answers

• Thank you for your response. I'll stay away from RAID.

I'll do some experimenting with the 2TB disc, as you suggest.

Also the RR2320 is on its way, so that can be interesting, too. I have a bad feeling for the combination of 2TB and Promise TX4.

BTW: I have to make sure that the disks connected to RR2320 is recognized as Legacy, otherwise they may be intialialized and cleared. I don't want that. Criterium for recognition as Legacy is that the disk "contain valid partition tables". Do discs in the pool have "valid partition tables"?

Finn
    They should.  They are formatted as standard NTFS drives when added to the storage pool.  Having said that, I would still backup everything you can't afford to lose before making that kind of a jump.
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:34 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hello all,

Observation:
    when copying (explorer) from a WS to WHS, 4 out of 10 times the WHS aborts, restarts and asks me to check storage HW and drivers.

Platform:
    WS: Win7 x64, WHS: ASUS P5K, Promise X4, 8 HDD (1, 1.5 and 2 TB), LAN DIR 655

Effort:
    chkdsk with f and r on all drives - no problems. Have most recent drivers according to MS.

Reflection:
    How reliable is the driver update on WHS? All discs have driver date 2002-10-1 version 5.2.3790.0. Hello, my discs are all less than 18 months old! On-board controller driver is dated 2007-05-16, as is the PSI Promise TX4. Bios for the chip is recent (sep 2009)

Question:
    Should I get the most recent drivers form the manufacturer's site? Microsoft says that 2002 is a good year for HDD drivers.

That's what I have on my server and they work fine.

Other:
    I feel that using 3 HDD-controllers (chip, on-board and PSI) may be a bit risky, so I plan to install a PSI-E 8-channel controller (RocketRAID  2320), only using the chip-controller for System drive and optical drive. Any comments on that?

Hope to get this behind me. WHS is otherwise performing well.
    Is this a new server?  Have you always had this problem?
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 3:26 AM
  • Kariya,

I've had this WHS going for a year now and it's only the last month or so that this problem has occurred. Xfer from WS to WHS is normally around 50-60 MB/s and it appears that just before WHS collapses that speed is down to 1-2 MB/s. I've checked and rechecked my router, made two full chkdsk /f/r (took full 20 hrs each), checked driver status, checked BIOS/SATA settings, but Windows claims that there is something the matter with my storage. It restarts normally, no questions asked. No temp issue. After restart, the Xfer is OK.

Another observation is that streaming is no problem. When streaming I probably access my 1 or 1.5 TB discs, whereas copying to the WHS access is probably to a 2TB disc.

The only change that I've done over the past couple of months is installing a 2TB WD Caviar Green and of course the updates. No indications that the 2TB is rejected - like someone mentions above. It is connected to the PSI Promise controller, could there be a problem with a 32 bit LBA? I have a free SATA connector on the Intel chip. Worth trying?

Is it normal that Windows grabs a HDD-driver dated back in 2002? Should I get a proper driver from WD, or will WHS lose track of reality?

My hope is that all the funtionality, performance and diagnostics on RR2320 will straighten things out. Paying up >3000 SEK is a bit stiff, but I am unweary of the old Promise, which is not maintained with FW updates. RR2320 is maybe overkill as I cannot use the RAID functionality, or do you see any advantages of using any of the RAID schemes?

Sorry this all seems a bit disconnected, but I hope you get the picture. Grateful for answer.

Finn
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 12:57 PM
  • Kariya,

I've had this WHS going for a year now and it's only the last month or so that this problem has occurred. Xfer from WS to WHS is normally around 50-60 MB/s and it appears that just before WHS collapses that speed is down to 1-2 MB/s. I've checked and rechecked my router, made two full chkdsk /f/r (took full 20 hrs each)

Did you run it on all of the hard drives, or just the primary drive (C and D partitions)?  If the latter, please see the FAQ post:  How to check all the drives in your server for errors for details on how to check all of them.

checked driver status, checked BIOS/SATA settings, but Windows claims that there is something the matter with my storage. It restarts normally, no questions asked. No temp issue. After restart, the Xfer is OK.

Another observation is that streaming is no problem. When streaming I probably access my 1 or 1.5 TB discs, whereas copying to the WHS access is probably to a 2TB disc.

The only change that I've done over the past couple of months is installing a 2TB WD Caviar Green and of course the updates.

Since the problem started around the time you added that drive, you could try removing it from the storage pool and see if it helps.

No indications that the 2TB is rejected - like someone mentions above. It is connected to the PSI Promise controller, could there be a problem with a 32 bit LBA? I have a free SATA connector on the Intel chip. Worth trying?

Is it normal that Windows grabs a HDD-driver dated back in 2002?

As I said before, that is the exact same driver on my server and it works.  Also, keep in mind that the underlying OS is 7 years old.

Should I get a proper driver from WD, or will WHS lose track of reality?

I wouldn't (at least not at this point).

My hope is that all the funtionality, performance and diagnostics on RR2320 will straighten things out. Paying up >3000 SEK is a bit stiff, but I am unweary of the old Promise, which is not maintained with FW updates. RR2320 is maybe overkill as I cannot use the RAID functionality, or do you see any advantages of using any of the RAID schemes?

RAID is unsupported on WHS.  Although it can be done, I would advise against it.

Sorry this all seems a bit disconnected, but I hope you get the picture. Grateful for answer.

Finn

Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:14 PM

Also the RR2320 is on its way, so that can be interesting, too. I have a bad feeling for the combination of 2TB and Promise TX4.

BTW: I have to make sure that the disks connected to RR2320 is recognized as Legacy, otherwise they may be intialialized and cleared. I don't want that. Criterium for recognition as Legacy is that the disk "contain valid partition tables". Do discs in the pool have "valid partition tables"?

Finn
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 6:39 PM

Finn
    They should.  They are formatted as standard NTFS drives when added to the storage pool.  Having said that, I would still backup everything you can't afford to lose before making that kind of a jump.
    • Marked as answer by hauge48 Saturday, January 16, 2010 9:34 PM
    Saturday, January 16, 2010 7:31 PM